Is there money to be made?

Firewoodwales

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi thanks for all your replies that price is 1750 all in delivered. It isn't cheap by all means but there is still room for a bit of profit I think. cheers guys

Ye if you can make a profit on it or just keep your usual customers ticking over. It's still the most expensive firewood I've ever heard of but there are huge variations in price across the country

hi no im not vat registered. im a tree surgeon trying to earn an extra buck selling logs.

It is probably worth becoming registered - if you are paying 20% VAT on all your inputs and not able to charge on outputs then you are starting with one hand tied behind your back in my view.

We registered as soon as we started and it makes a big difference

Cheers

mac

It is probably worth becoming registered - if you are paying 20% VAT on all your inputs and not able to charge on outputs then you are starting with one hand tied behind your back in my view.

We registered as soon as we started and it makes a big difference

Cheers

mac

second that.

If you register for VAT you can claim back 20% of the purchase price, but you have to pay 20% of the sale price back to HMRC.

If you are running at a profit, then by definition the ouotgoing 20% to HMRC will be more than you claim back on the purchase price. Are you not just becoming a tax collector?

As long as your turnover stays below the threshold you're better off not VAT registered.

Please correct my maths if I've misunderstood how this works.

As I understand it working as a tree surgeon is primarily selling labour and theres little VAT to be reclaimed and all quotes have to have 20% VAT added.

If your mainly dealing in logs then can claim 20% VAT back on bought in logs and only have to charge 5% on logs sold for domestic heating.

The OP is working as tree surgeon with the logs as a sideline so it seems to me that if most of his tree work is domestic, then he shoukdnt register for VAT unless turnover is over he threshold of £70k ish???