Weigh Bridge facts

Llenya

I have searched the forum, as best that the forum "Search Programme" facilitates, and I can´t seem to get much factual information on Weight versus Volume for particular firewood species.

I may have missed it but it seems, to a large extent, that customers are relying a lot on the ´firewood suppliers´ description of their ´trailer (or lorry) load´ that they are actually getting either a certified weight load, or a certified volume load of firewood!

Is firewood supply not regulated in the UK, similar to Oil and Gas whereby detailed receipts of weight or volume are issued at the time of delivery?

I am not being contentious here, I just wish to know what is accepted, permitted or expected.

I see a lot of discontent on the website about firewood novices entering the game, perhaps a little regulation would help the long-termers. I also see evidence of a lot of suppliers not using a weigh-bridge to determine the difference between a tonne of wet against a tonne of dry; and questions from seasoned suppliers about cubic meters of dry logs.

Please believe that my only motive for this post is a better understanding of the UK system. I am a family concern hoping to deal with you guys on an equal footing.

Best Regards

Stephen

Hmmm, not an easy one to answer without ringing bells.

In a perfect world yes green timber usually changes hands in the round on weight tickets , but with self weighing lorries the lorry weigher tends to be accepted for the delivered weight. Seasoned roundwood normally goes on a volume basis.

Many threads and posts on here if you type in 'weight' 'volume' 'firewood' in the search box above, in the toolbar. Whereas other products such as coal tend to stay in much narrower parameters for given weight per volume. Wood varies wildly from balsa wood which weighs probably 100kg per solid cubic metre up to the heavier species at 1200kg per solid cubic metre, then timber fluctuates massively by moisture content as well. Its growth density depending on the climate its grown in. Coal is graded to consistent size before selling. Each firewood processor is setup differently, producing different size pieces which varies still the amount of wood in a given volume, hence why a full bag of shavings and sawdust is much lighter than a log half its size.

This is obvious to most people, but its also why selling by weight gives the customer variable value for money. Therefore volume is not perfect but a fairer option.

I dont understand why you think selling by weight would be better than volume?

My truck is split into 3 cubic metre bays, the size of those bays never ever change so i know the internal size is 1 cubic metre. It doesnt matter if im cutting 15" logs or 7" logs the size is always the same.

If you sell by weight you will be getting every tom, dick and Harry selling wet crap for top dollar

any ideas on the cost of putting a vehicle across a weighbridge anyone?

I use the one up the road in the soil and compost place. They dont normally want anything to weigh a vehicle but i bung them a fiver a pop to keep them sweet. I weigh all the timber now just to stop the arguing.

Bob

our local council one £4

only any good if you know the unladen weight first

Our council one allows for a loaded and a tare in the fee. Also if you don't ask for a printed ticket the lady just waves you off after telling you the gross.

Rod it looks like they have rebuilt the one at Handcross on the A23, it was free before, otherwise one skip firm in a local village lets you drive on the weighbridge and view the weight through the window.

£7.00 here and £10 if you want weighed after you empty.

for years we used to tell people who would phone up wanting a ton of wood delivered to get weigh tickets don't think any of them ever did but the majority now are starting to ask the volume of bags which is something.