Other ventures????????????

skyhuck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

does anyone reading this think that they are an idiot who cant use a saw, fuel a van or in fact do anything that wont destroy something or someones business? :001_tongue:

If someone isn't treating me right and paying badly i can find myself edging towards this. Decent thinking employees don't come cheap...pay peanuts get monkeys, but then there the occasional piss taker on decent money:mad1:

How about plant hire? could start with gear that is useful to you like stump grinders and chippers so they wont sit around too much if not out, even small stump grinders are £80-90 a day + sharps+ fuel and chippers £120 + sharps +fuel which is pretty good, and all you need is a numpty to deliver and collect them.

If you enjoy what you're doing I'd carry on with just you and a groundie (who can climb/aerial rescue) and try selling your waste products.

Firewood is a winner now and unless you are in an area where everyone cuts their own/very rural it makes you good money. Almost a third of my income now comes from firewood. And this is hand splitting - but the trick is to split it staright after ringing it - dries faster and splits easier.

You can try planking your better timber with a chainsaw mill - make basic furniture and features. This does not take skill (I can do it) and the amount of planks of a single tree means you can make umpteen table and bench sets.

Then chipping mulch is a good one if you can find a market. I'm selling a 1.25 tonne (maybe just over) truckload for £70-00, half that £40 (these are composted chippings) or fresh from a job £30-00 a truckload.

But these things are all longer term, need more patience and do not give the instant £ but are great earners if you persist. And they are all linked with what you're doing and you don't need to employ anyone else. I have found if you keep speaking to all those around you be it customers, other trades friends and family people start coming to you looking for logs/chippings/furniture.

• 1 month later...
Anybody with a supply of timber should really be into power generation. At current prices for every kw of output produces an annual income of £1000 (ie 50kw generator produces £50k income) paid direct into your bank account without having to chase it or even invoice it . Simples ????

Is the weather nice up there ? :blink::lol::tongue_smilie:

Dave, With the volume of timber in your yard and the facilities you have for bringing back big lumps I'd be looking at selling that lot direct to a firewood merchant.

That should give you a nice little lump sum in your pocket ready for Christmas :)

Is the weather nice up there ? :blink:

Dave, With the volume of timber in your yard and the facilities you have for bringing back big lumps I'd be looking at selling that lot direct to a firewood merchant.

That should give you a nice little lump sum in your pocket ready for Christmas :)

Already on it mate!! :biggrin:

2 arctic loads gone and 5 more sold and waiting to go :drool: