(First post) Planting a native woodland, East Sussex

out of interest why aren't you putting a higher % of useable species in the woodland as I would say with that amount of different species in it, including a lot of shrub/scrub species the oak and beech wont do that well with out a lot of intervention management. Also do yourself a favour and bin the blackthorn as they will spread like crazy and spread through the woodland and the results will be higher management cost when it comes to doing thinning work. I have seen some blocks in the national forest recently that are now basically blackthorn thicket and they have suppressed everything else and the best option really is to mulch the lot down and replant!

Is the farmland registered for single farm payments as well? because by utilizing morewoods you wont be able to claim this in the future as its a non RDPE funded scheme.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

out of interest why aren't you putting a higher % of useable species in the woodland

I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket in case a particular species fails. I can plant more next year but I wanted a varied landscape. The blackthorn will be concentrated around the hedgerows for security and sloes :) I think at close (30cm, double row) spacing, it's not going to go far. Has to out compete the rushes and brambles first!

The oak and beech will be planted away from much of the scrub species (although I thought hazel etc. was an understorey plant?

Is the farmland registered for single farm payments as well? because by utilizing morewoods you wont be able to claim this in the future as its a non RDPE funded scheme.

It's not registered. I'm told that it might be possible to register but for the amount we stand to gain, I don't think it's worth the money but might be wrong. As I understand it, to get the SFP we would have needed to register the land years ago

Didn't realise cobnuts were distinct from hazelnuts - will look into that.

Not sure if walnut was an option on the species list - is it warm enough to grow successfully here?

Here is some more information for you

Cobnuts and filberts / Royal Horticultural Society

Walnuts / Royal Horticultural Society

I have 2 Walnut trees in my garden grown fro seed and they are growing well.

H-A

The blackthorn will be concentrated around the hedgerows for security and sloes :) I think at close (30cm, double row) spacing, it's not going to go far.

Bet on it?! Blackthorn will sucker like crazy and not even notice brambles etc. Without annual mowing right down the 'hedge' will become something a lot thicker in a surprisingly short time.

I'd hate for you to do without blackthorn altogether - it provides valuable food and habitat - but just know that it will need assertive management.

When it spreads further than 15m I'll start worrying - I'll be too drunk on sloe gin by then to care anyway. Out of interest, can one dig the suckers up and plant them elsewhere? If I plant them the other side of a ditch then it becomes next door's problem :D

Out of interest, can one dig the suckers up and plant them elsewhere?

Depends on whether the suckers develop their own fibrous root system, as in the case of a lateral that's been layered. I suspect they do develop such a system as, if left, they will develop into fully adult plants.

Get some goats in.

Easy to say, not so easy to organise. I'm going to hire a self propelled mower and give that a go. The brambles aren't that thick at the moment so if I can get it up into the field, it shouldn't be a problem.

Bit worried that some of the species I've ordered won't tolerate our soil - should have tested it before but a neighbour tells me it's acidic, which rules out the whitebeam and field maple. Tempted to increase the alder and aspen numbers instead.

It's a pity they don't offer robinia or poplar as they grow fast and burn well (especially the former)

which rules out the whitebeam and field maple.

Whitebeam prefers free draining as well, even in our prime arable lowland location I still picked the driest areas of the site for the whitebeam.

Although they are distinctly different, you could substitute it with Rowan which is related but a lot more robust. It's possibly something should have been there anyway unless there's some unapparent reason for it being missing.

Not sure why I didn't select rowan - it was an option. I've asked them if they'll substitute but might be too late to change order now. Not sure whether to try to treat the soil with ash or lime where I plant the whitebeam or just see whether it copes...