how to take down the dodge elm??

MattyF

Right got this horrible thing to do tm,

http://003-1.jpg

The pics dont do it justice it is big!Last worked on it 7 years ago the rope point broke out at the same time the bit i was roping broke in to three pieces under its weight! we walked away and told him it can only be done with a cherry picker.....well 7 years later i get a call to look at it again i refused point blank to climb it after my last experience but he wont pay for a cherry picker says i can go up and cut pieces off and where they fall they fall,problem is there is a victorian wall and iron gate under it on 2 corners...and i dont want to break it further its already mullered after it shead a limb on it a few months ago but would prefere to do no more damage.

any way i have had an idea that i can use the big shot to get a rope up to the tips then attach my lowering rope and drive off at great speed breaking off limbs in a semi controled manner....then fell the trunk,or is this the most cowboy approach to felling it safely?!!!

We would like to drop it in whole but it would hit a perfect mature cedar that can not be damaged.

http://006.jpg white rot in the last limb to fail.

Edited by MattyF

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's hard to see where your breakable targets on the ground are, but would you be happy spiking up as far as the main fork and knocking each limb off one at a time? You maybe have a throwline and then pulling line on each one to send it the right way.

What's up with the tight-wad customer?!?! I would be inclined to refuse it to be honest if it is all that dodgy. It makes me mad how someone will not be prepared to stump up the right money but will then tell you such and such cannot be damaged. We are arborists not frigging magicians!!

Roping the limbs up and driving off gets my vote!! Id love to do a job like that haha

In all seriousness though, it does look very dodgy, So make sure you dont really hurt yourself pal. MEWP all the way for me and if he wont pay for one, Id just walk away from it!

I'd cherry pick it Matty, not worth your life mate, or get him to sign something to waver any damage, spike the main stem and cut everything and let it drop.

Walls are repairable, you might not be.

:dito:

Cherry picker job.

If your going to go up it on spikes, rope on and top it below the main fork in a oner. Don't fit the rope too high.

It will be sound there, as its holding up the rest of the crown.

Providing of course that you can absolutely trust your winchman.

Why did you refuse to do it 7 years ago, but will do it now??

7 years ago i was a lead climber not company owner, it was my call and was not worth it,if i wanted a cherry picker for a job i usually got one,but i moved on about 2 weeks later and the job stayed in limbo....also there is a lot of politics involved...between me and a few other parties! i wont bore you but i want the work on the rest of the estate,saving him money hopefully will swing this.

Your original idea is not bad, Matty. We have done that before to rip the top out of a much smaller dead Elm.

Thing is, it was bloody strong! Defender and bull rope eventually cracked off a 3" top.

Can you redirect to avoid snapping a piece into the back of your vehicle?

I'd be tempted to fell it in a oner. Often does less damage than you think, especially with a bit of drop zone prep.

And your client sounds like a prize cock.....