MEWP Usage

David Humphries

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEWPs don't replace a climber but they do make commercial sense on the right job.

:congrats:

Good man for saying that.

I have seen quite a few quotes from MEWP sellers in the past who try to sell them on the strength that they only cost the same as a years wages for a good climber!

So the MEWP does ALL the work and costs nothing to run!:confused1:

An interesting side-effect of using a MEWP is that some older and therefore experienced climbers who are very good at the job and but are running out of puff - can carry on doing the ariel stuff for years longer than they might otherwise have been able to. The arb world too often loses its most able guys because of the sheer wear and tear of the job. Its noticable to me that my regulars are usually well established arborists.... in their 40's....

• 11 months later...

Hardly ever get the old girl out these days, and we weren't exactly gonna spike this one.........

In conjunction with some future London Olympic events, this pond has recently had a face lift, there's going to be an opening at the weekend with Boris Johnson and some cronies.

Boss felt that as there was gonna be a new flag hioisted, it would be a good idea to get the pole cleaned up.

Three hours later, after scrubbing Londons grime away, it hasn't exactly made it sparkle, but it was certainly beter than it was........

Nelly was chuffed she got a little run out :biggrin:

IMG_7808.jpg.074537a3674e77d794de9457043cdbac.jpg

IMG_7747.jpg.816e5eff9407577d6240f263699bd077.jpg

IMG_7757.jpg.76ac313f1ec27245b2276574ffec7c30.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg.5f3dd5c3f0b8de3f1332804ce9b46c71.jpg

IMG_7743.jpg.7fdeb2963a657fb9cb6172172cf0f347.jpg

• 11 months later...

To ease my lack of confidence in MEWP's (not great with heights, trying to overcome that), would a MEWP with a max cradle load weight of 230kg (including 2 operators) theoretically be able to be at max reach and have one or both operators fall out (secured to the cradle) and not tip over?

Id say no.

The working envelope would be reduced anyway with two people in and I would say the dynamic loading of a person or two persons exiting the basket in a dramatic fashion, would not be good at full tilt.

The best thing is to never work in a fully loaded basket (two people) at full reach

I have done it once and survived and will never do it again.

One person in the basket with maximum leg extention and full outreach you have a very good safety margin. The same with two people, your safety margin is drastically reduced

A mewp designed for 200 kg with only 100 kg in the basket will not rely on electronic sensors. When fully loaded, you will rely heavily on the sensors doing their job

Sorry if I have dented your confidence

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

To ease my lack of confidence in MEWP's (not great with heights, trying to overcome that), would a MEWP with a max cradle load weight of 230kg (including 2 operators) theoretically be able to be at max reach and have one or both operators fall out (secured to the cradle) and not tip over?

course it could, id jump out of any of our mewps at full reach if they were propaly set up

Simples,the mewp will handle anything you subject it to within its capacity,if you drop load it you are likely to have problems,be it jumping out with gay abandon,cutting & getting a basket hang up from above,and not having a good setting for the suport legs,and movement at max that is stopped too fast.

I hate the things,I own one,they are a very usefull tool,& they can bite back if abused.:001_smile: