MEWP Usage

David Humphries

I think there is a general misunderstanding that we "MEWP lovers" are suggesting that the MEWP will take over climbing and that they should be used at every oportunity.

That isn't anything like what we are saying.

98% of my work doesn't involve the MEWP, but the bit that does invariably involves an unacceptable degree of risk not to use it.

If there were a tree that were in such a state that it may fall on your MEWP, you would assess the lean, put the cherry picker behind the lean and strip off the weight from the side your cherry picker is set up on. The more weight you take off the more it would be weighted away from you.

Obviously each job would have to be assessed on it's own.

I can say however, that the mewp never made me any money, what it did do was pay for itself so I got free use of it and basically I could charge what I thought the job warranted for the hire because it was costing me nothing.

Other people hire it and paid the finance for me :wave:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dad used to operate a cheap ex bt transit pick up with a small cherry picker about 30ft was only about £2500.

Ideal foir raising street trees,made council contracts a breeze and more prophitable also trimming hedges and blocking down and small reductions where made very easy safe and quick,somthing i would consider buying myself evan if it only goes out once a week .

the time and effort it could save

my dad used to operate a cheap ex bt transit pick up with a small cherry picker about 30ft was only about £2500.

Ideal foir raising street trees,made council contracts a breeze and more prophitable also trimming hedges and blocking down and small reductions where made very easy safe and quick,somthing i would consider buying myself evan if it only goes out once a week .

the time and effort it could save

WOW!Did his MEWP predict the future! thats incredible!

there was a lot of talk of mewps being crap for reductions ...some of the best large reductions ive done have been on 50m mewps on big beach and limes ...have not used one for 5 years but they do fit this role very well,the only role ive found them crap in has been dead wooding and thinning.

personly id rather be in the bucket of a platform chogging down especially with a big saw its easily faster...

We'd all like a mewp along with a good hia-ab on a truck , a 12'' chipper, a lorry and a 4x4 pick-up etc etc, the truth is most of us will never be able to afford kit like this, why because we have to many micro companys chasing to little work , and when we do get the work we aren't paid according to our skills [i'd love to know how much a steel erecting company charges per day]

As a business owner let me tell you guys , if I had the money i'd have a truck mount tomorrow

http://www.baumpflege-bollmann.de/

ive all the above but i have no desire to own a mewp but occasionally do hire them and always need a different one so would rather have the flexibility of hiring one

the day i am made to use a mewp will be my last

"the day i am made to use a mewp will be my last"

Yes and they used to think one would suffocated if you went above 30MPH in a motor vehicle.

They probably said the same thing about the tractor when that was first introduced.

You are right though, it is individual choice. If you do your own risk assessment and decide to climb a dangerous tree which then fails and kills you, that shouldn't be a problem, it's when your decision ends up killing someone else.