just realised i've done something very stupid!

Matthew Storrs

A few weeks ago i needed the 25 liter drum that holds my chain oil. So I poured the chain oil into an old landrover engine oil carton I had.

A few days ago I topped up the landrover with yep you guessed it, the chain oil I had put into old carton thinking it was spare landrover oil- Complete plonker, I only made the connection after a few days of driving:laugh1:.

Better do an oil change, but how similar is standard chain oil compared to mineral 15/30?

I understand they add something to give it the tackiness to stay on bars.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few weeks ago i needed the 25 liter drum that holds my chain oil. So I poured the chain oil into an old landrover engine oil carton I had.

A few days ago I topped up the landrover with yep you guessed it, the chain oil I had put into old carton thinking it was spare landrover oil- Complete plonker, I only made the connection after a few days of driving:laugh1:.

Better do an oil change, but how similar is standard chain oil compared to mineral 15/30?

I understand they add something to give it the tackiness to stay on bars.

How much chain oil did you put in to top up?

15W30 too thin - which LR engine?

I did this once too. Did an engine oil change late at night on my Suzuki 1300 4x4. Next day drove nearly 200 miles to a 2 day off road/winching competition. By the end of day 1 a couple of marshalls had asked if I was using Castrol R as the exhaust smelt 'distinctive'. I hadn't heard of it, but apparently it's an additive often used in trials bikes to improve performance. Start of second day the engine was a bit slow to pick up but ran well all day, we won the event and drove home with a few hundred quids worth of prizes. About 2 days later I needed to move the SJ to wash it off, the Better Half had to tow me more than half a mile before it would bump start. Washed the car and then left it parked till end of the week. When I took out the sump plug to drain the oil it came out sooo slow. It looked like green/black dog poo . I could pick up a handfull and roll it into a ball. Changed the oil twice more in the next 100 miles and everything was fine. The little truck went on to thrash many Landrovers at Challenge events all over the country.

In short, change it quick but don't worry about any longterm trouble.

Angus

Before I drove to Scotland last year I changed the oil, dropped the oil and old filter off, put a new filter on and put the sump plug in, poured in the first 5 litres of oil, went to get the second can, reAlised I had 2 identical cans left and id filled the engine with gear oil:thumbdown::lol::001_rolleyes: