Arb truck weights and configuration

Shane

I apologise in advance, I suspect that somewhere in various threads are the answers to my questions but my searching has unearthed nowt but tangential comments.

So - I'm on the lookout to get a newer arb truck.

I dont want the ops license hassle so 3.5 t GVW is the limit.

Budget - anywhere from 5-10k.

Make, open to suggestions.

Key requirements, Tool storage NOT under tipper body, preferably ally tipper body not steel(not necessarily covered),NO tail lift or hiab, reasonable power, highest possible payload (we can all dream).

I've looked at loads od configurations on here, ebay, autotrader etc and I guess only about 20% of tippers have a crew cab, maybe 2-3% have a decent tool box, most have steel tipper body.

If a truck met all the criteria but had low sides I dont mind fabricating something (extra ally sides to slide in or maybe GRP) or having them made up.

The biggest choice (if thats the word) seems to be a crew-cab transit but I hear lots of good things about Japanese trucks.

People on here have suggested that crew cabs are heavy, is a stripped out crew cab much heavier that a roller shutter tool box?

Any suggestions on best options gratefully received.

My current van is ideal - here it is

IMG_0010.jpg.f4b0c220a6b11527d08bed1e0edf1f2c.jpg

Edited by Shane
Add ohoto

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My crew cab transit weighs in at 2420kg, that was with my groundie sat inside plus all the normal gear in the back - 2 tophandles, 2 ground saws, 1 880, 2 climbing kits, pole pruner, long loppers,barrow, rakes, shovels, fuels and oils etc etc.

Only got it on the bridge last week and was surprised that i had over 1t payload to play with.

EDIT - was still 800kg overweight mind!

You can pretty much ignore whatever the payload is on a crewcab truck. For example, lets say you weight up the completed truck and it comes in at 2.5t you would think that you have a 1t payload, which isn't necessarily the case. Its all about weight distribution unfortunately..so whilst techically you have a 1t overall payload, the reality is you're going to throw the font axels overweight far easier on a crew cab than a single cab...and when it comes to Vosa, thats all important

My crew cab transit weighs in at 2420kg, that was with my groundie sat inside plus all the normal gear in the back - 2 tophandles, 2 ground saws, 1 880, 2 climbing kits, pole pruner, long loppers,barrow, rakes, shovels, fuels and oils etc etc.

Only got it on the bridge last week and was surprised that i had over 1t payload to play with.

EDIT - was still 800kg overweight mind!

It would be interesting to know what the individual weights of axle one and two are. A one ton payload sort of defeats the need for greedy boards.

Bob