Ideas to make money from land

BTS

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fruit and veg : depends if you or your partner like cooking or making stuff. Fruit on its own doesn't make alot, you need to add value.

Animals - goat is in demand...pigs are good...chickens. But again, to make money you need to be adding value.

Petting zoo, with food and veg products and a coffee outlet.

Yurts for rental

Plantation that doesn't do alot now, but matures, making you self sufficient in fruit, veg, wood for burning and stuff to sell. Got to have this stuff to be able to retire these days, unless you have a govt pension...

I did a rough calculation that an acre of willow planted at 50cm spacings, each producing 10 2m whips a year, when cut into 25cm whips and sold for 50p each (which seems remarkable to me but that's cheap compared to what some places want for them) you are grossing £640,000 a year.... on one acre! We have about 10... but I'll have to leave some of it unplanted as otherwise where would I land the helicopters? ;)

What would you use a 25cm willow whip for? Too small for weaving...?

Good luck with that helicopter! Where would you fit the PTO?!

That's how you buy willow for planting

Bundle of Ten Cuttings of each of 17 Varieties - Yorkshire Willow Online Shop

What would I need a PTO for? I'd just hover upside down to keep the grass in check... :D

That's how you buy willow for planting

Bundle of Ten Cuttings of each of 17 Varieties - Yorkshire Willow Online Shop

What would I need a PTO for? I'd just hover upside down to keep the grass in check... :D

Ahh, I see. I thought you meant to sell for craft / green woodwork use.

Ha! An upside down helicopter would also make a great wood splitter, and could be used to fell standing wood! :lol:

I may be wrong and forgive me if somebody has already mentioned this one but I noticed nobody has mentioned doing a wormery producing for fishing etc apparently they are fairly straight forward and when done on a large scale profitable I was going to look into it myself but never have the time .

Also there seems to be a lot of UK vineyards cropping up about the place not sure how well they would do I think whatever you go for needs to be unique and profitable you need to find that niche in the market to get your return from the land ,if you had a small area of forestery you could do bushcraft for the local schools etc offering forest day school trip days out or educational tours ,you could plant an orchard keep bees supply local shops with local honey sell wax for candle /soap making etc ,you could plant a coppice for firewood production but that would obviously be a long term return