Ideas to make money from land

BTS

I have a 3 acre bit of land, and I want it to earn some money, I have had a number of ideas caravan club site (parish council went loopy) animals but site not big enough to make profit, logs but misses wants more family freindly idea im stumped at minute. I know i wont make my fourtune out of it, but I just want it to make a small amount, Its on the edge of a village with good access.

regarding your initial idea of a caravan club site: Log into your local council planning portal and download the Local Plan for your village, read what it says about Leisure & Tourism, if it's not clear read the county plan too. I think it is highly unlikely there is an excuse the parish council can use to stop you opening a small (5 vans or less) caravan club site. National Guidance is all about increasing tourism and revenue to rural communities, so this should filter down into the local plan.

The Parish council can go as loopy as they want, but in the end they have to follow planning legislation, which will probably be on your side.

Local chap round here wanted to open stables, the parish council were dead set against it on the grounds it would increase traffic to the village, he got planning permission with restrictions limiting who could use the facilities down to locals to avoid excess traffic. They cannot argue a 5 van club site will increase traffic, and if they try to the county planner will put them right with advise from the highways agency who will check access to the site.

Edit: Try to find a similar caravan club site in your county, then read their planning application to see how they got it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

build a duck pond no planning required i think >>>> cant help it if fish get in there pin money for your wife bacon buttys n tea on the bank £££££££££££

ps bank the soil up and build some bird hides shelters with sleepers into the banking to keep the fishermen dry sorry i ment bird watchers keeps the wind off the lake too so more shelter for the fishermen sorry birdwatchers

Edited by predator
edit

It's worth bearing in mind that whilst the Parish Council have to be consulted on planning applications they don't actually make any planning decisions. It's the District Council that is the planning authority.

Small Caravan Club sites known as "Certified Locations" don't require planning permission anyway as they are exempt, so your Parish Councillors can make as much fuss as they want.

build a duck pond no planning required i think

"The creation of a pond by machinery is considered an engineering

operation under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as

amended). Even if your proposed scheme only includes a small and shallow pond, it may be defined as an

engineering operation which could require planning permission – it will depend on your planning authority"

"The creation of a pond by machinery is considered an engineering

operation under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as

amended). Even if your proposed scheme only includes a small and shallow pond, it may be defined as an

engineering operation which could require planning permission – it will depend on your planning authority"

ok then lol a soil bank in a circle cant help it filling with rain etc i know of someone who tried for 8 years to get planning for a fisherie etc and the loophole was a duckpond or a soil banking with a footpath ontop did,nt req planning the rest is as act of god cant control rain of wildlife inc fish residing

ok then lol a soil bank in a circle cant help it filling with rain

Sorry... still need planning for an earth berm. Here is a successful application http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/yourcouncil/agendasreportsminutes/othercommittees/planningandhighways/reports/P15Oct2003WillingdonSchool.pdf but believe me it is not a given. You might believe you own the land but you are only the custodian and everybody and their dog has their twopenneth if you try anything different.

also if you dont get confused with all the red tape its not in the councils interest to take you to court as it will cost a fortune and as its your livelyhood working from home the court does in more cases favour a bloke who,s trying to feed his family by working etc unless they can offer you an alternative so to speak

whatever happens dont let,em grind you down to there level of thinking councils have some mad ideas and views towards planning just take it to the top overide the council etc good luck anyway not that you will need it just get on with the job in task let them do the running as stated there taking food off your table and wont look good in court griping about a bloke trying to provide for his family and there future etc

i think they call it progress these days