The Mower Bench

GardenKit

The only other failure I have seen on a Vanguard was a rod through the side (small 2p sized hole behind the starter), but the engine kept running on the other cylinder, sounded sweet.

The customer bought a new mower, I let the scrapman take the old one.

He must have sold it on, because it came back to me a few weeks later from the new owner who wanted it serviced as "its a bit low on power"

I was able to make a very quick diagnosis:biggrin:

Mine kept running on one cylinder until I could switch it off. Didn't sound so sweet:001_smile:

As far as i know there are two different types under the same model number, i bought one for £32 from a feather and fur sale to use as parts as i needed a new front wheel but the diameter of the shaft it fits on was different as were the rear wheel shafts. Its still sat there doing nothing if you ever need any bits.

Got a customer with a Countax C300H ride on with hydrostatic drive.

Works fine initially but as once it warms up (about 20-30 mins) it refuses to climb even the slightest slope and there's a whine from the gearbox. (Info from customer, I've not actually used the machine)

I had a quick look, the gearbox looks a bit of a pig to get to however did check there was oil in the gearbox header tank under the seat and although there was oil in it, it didn't look like it had been touched for quite a while. The customer couldn't tell me whether the gearbox oil had been changed recently.

Anyone got any ideas?

If it helps the serial number is

50822 3H800 3218(A) A0083971

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

As far as i know there are two different types under the same model number, i bought one for £32 from a feather and fur sale to use as parts as i needed a new front wheel but the diameter of the shaft it fits on was different as were the rear wheel shafts. Its still sat there doing nothing if you ever need any bits.

thats good news thanks for that i will keep intouch but meanwhile are you still looking for a wheel and whats the shaft size as i may be left with spare rear wheels your welcome if they fit yours

Got a customer with a Countax C300H ride on with hydrostatic drive.

Works fine initially but as once it warms up (about 20-30 mins) it refuses to climb even the slightest slope and there's a whine from the gearbox. (Info from customer, I've not actually used the machine)

I had a quick look, the gearbox looks a bit of a pig to get to however did check there was oil in the gearbox header tank under the seat and although there was oil in it, it didn't look like it had been touched for quite a while. The customer couldn't tell me whether the gearbox oil had been changed recently.

Anyone got any ideas?

If it helps the serial number is

50822 3H800 3218(A) A0083971

Hi,

The seals have failed in the box. Used to be able to send them back to Countax for a rebuild but you would have to check. Some gearboxes are not made anymore so you will need a new box and a fitting kit.

Phone Countax tec as they are great guys and know their stuff.

Good luck

Bob, as Eddie says, the box is knackered. Some say that an oil change with a thicker oil will cure the problem. It may, but not for long.

If your transmission is losing power or drive when gets hot, it is likely that the cylinder blocks and center case need to be replaced. It is critical to replace all components to include 2 cylinder block assemblies with new pistons and springs, and the center case.

Most transmissions are dealer serviceable with the exceptions of the Tuff Torq K55 and K46e which have both been used by Countax, and as Eddie says can only be repaired by Tuff Torque themselves (via Countax) but the cost is high and a new box is the best alternative, but still not cheap.

Make sure you know which box you have before asking for tech help.

Hydrostatic units on the whole are very reliable but the Countax ones seem to me to cause more trouble than any others. They are generally considered 'maintenance free' but oil changes will extend their life.

Thanks a lot Eddie and Barrie, looks like I'm going to be getting intimate with the back end of a countax fairly soon then!

Anyone know if the transmission boxes are stamped with the model number?