The Mower Bench

GardenKit

ps has the conrod been repaired/welded in the past ?

Never been apart before.

I am a bit gutted by this one as I truly believe the Briggs Vanguard to be the best engine of its type on the market. I always recommend it to customers as being completely bombproof.

I sold this machine to a domestic customer in 2000 and have serviced it every year since, with new oil and filter every year.

Then this happens, but to be fair its only the second failure of one of these that I have had in the last 20 years, and I have sold other which have never been serviced and are still going strong!

Hmmm they are good engines there's no question about it!!

Did the customer give any story prior to the failure to give any clues?

I've had a couple do the same one was never serviced from new 78 hrs later and the whole mower looking rough bang!

The other had been over Erving by the story from the customer!!

Where do you get your rubber matting from?

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Where do you get your rubber matting from?

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

I got it through my local independent tyre dealer. He got it from a national supplier he buys tyres through. They use them in all their fitting bays nationwide.

But I do not know who they are!

Half the price of any others I found though.

Hmmm they are good engines there's no question about it!!

Did the customer give any story prior to the failure to give any clues?

No, no clues at all, but the evidence shows that one of the big end bolts worked loose. The other one then snapped and the loose one bent as the cap came off. The con rod flailed against the bore before being hit by the crank and shearing it off.

Ive had one for 10 years and its never missed a beat, mine is the 4 wheel version and wouldn't hesitate about getting another if this one ever dies. There has been some comments previously on this forum by others praising them aswell.

well i got wen and bought one w5021 4 wheel version what a beasty lol but the rear drive is buggered so got myself another project to fix & keep me out of trouble etc i,am just wearing ebay out now sorcing a scrapper for parts it runs sweet though just needs some tlc etc .I must say a very well engineered mower infact overkill

well i went and bought one w5021 4 wheel version what a beast lol but the rear drive is buggered so got myself another project to fix & keep me out of trouble etc i,am just wearing ebay out now sourcing a scrapper for parts it runs sweet though just needs some tlc etc .I must say a very well engineered mower infact overkill

just found this but its london pick up only :crying::crying::crying:

Kubota 5Hp Lawnmower Ohv Tcr Petrol Self Propelled Roller Not Working For Parts | eBay

The owner is away and the gardener was using the mower.

"It just died when I went into reverse, no funny noises or anything" he said. "Cant be much wrong can there?" he asked.

How fast was he going forwards when he went into reverse ? :001_rolleyes:

How fast was he going forwards when he went into reverse ? :001_rolleyes:

Ha, I know where you are coming from, but its a Hydrostatic Stiga.

Belt drive to the hydrostat, and the gearbox comes to a halt between F&R, so no stress on the engine.

I had a rod come through the side on a Vanguard engine. Well serviced etc so it was a bit of a surprise. Never looked for a cause...just one of those things I suppose.

The only other failure I have seen on a Vanguard was a rod through the side (small 2p sized hole behind the starter), but the engine kept running on the other cylinder, sounded sweet.

The customer bought a new mower, I let the scrapman take the old one.

He must have sold it on, because it came back to me a few weeks later from the new owner who wanted it serviced as "its a bit low on power"

I was able to make a very quick diagnosis:biggrin: