The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Check the valve clearance specs in the engine manual then adjust with a feeler gauge

Unfortunately the user manual gives no specs and says get it done by a Honda dealer, and I can't find a copy of the service guide online. Any ideas?

Alec

Valve adjustment or carbon build-up - would you expect either of these to come on suddenly?

My experience with valve adjustment relates only to car engines, where it's more of a gradual sense of it not being right, which gets much better when you adjust them. My experience with de-coking exhaust valves is sticking a big, flat-bladed screwdriver in the coils of the spring and twisting it round so that the spring snaps shut to knock the coke off the valve seat, as advised in the manual of the Lister B stationary engine in question. I suspect therefore that my experience is of limited relevance....

Any thoughts on how to diagnose either of the above, and appropriately correct them for this engine?

Cheers

Alec

Sure, valves should only change slowly, so unlikely to be the problem unless something has come loose. Worth checking anyway.

With regard to carbon, yes it does build up slowly, but will give the symptons you have. It is most likely to be in the exhaust rather than the port with a four stroke. These carbon build ups can break free and float around in the exhaust where the flow of gases moves them to the outlet where they jam until the revs drop and they fall free, only to move again when the revs increase.

Take the exhaust off and give it a shake, you may hear a rattle and lumps may drop out.

You could also run the machine without the exhaust to see if there is a difference, but wear some ear defenders and goggles.

I have a kubota G18 tractor mowercurrently on the "bench" (or floor)

This has recently been acquired from a primary school, it was parked after the the grass cutting was outsourced.

I am about to tear it down and give a thurough look through as it has been sat for a year!

Only 240 hours though! Nae to bad for 12 year old machine!

Hopfully won't have any nasty surprises!

Anything I should look out for?

This has recently been acquired from a primary school, it was parked after the the grass cutting was outsourced.

I am about to tear it down and give a thurough look through as it has been sat for a year!

Sounds like a good find!

I am not much help on Kubotas though, the ones I have come across have all been pretty good except for drive shaft spline wear, engine mounts and, of course, deck rust.

If it's only done 240 hours it shouldn't have to many issues !

Things to watch out for...

Deck height adjustment below the seat, spray grease! As they can seize and they are a pig to get to.

Check pto anti drag brake for adjustment ( bottom pulley in front of the front axle)

Grease nipple under the front axle centre pivot - most don't know it's there so doesn't get greased!

The grass box full pressure switch located in the left side of the grass chute - grass residue causes the rubber to go hard and stiff and the sticks in (buzzing) just wash with warm water!

Steering ball joint if not already fitted there is a upgraded much improved new replacement available

Front wheel bearings are normally loose on the shaft!!

Don't buy Kubota belts or blades they are just simply over priced!!

If you can't find a alternative supplier let me know.

Like wise for the filters

Electric assist steering has a multi plug just behind the mesh below the steering column on the right hand side these tend to go rusty and cause steering problems - clean and fill the plug with Petrolum jelly!!

Hydraulic oil - Morris Lubricants JDF Transmission Fluid (or similar spec oil)

If you try to remove the rear wings/floor - there is two bolts under the rubber matting in the middle up against the mesh!!!

Just give us a shout about anything else.

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Edited by WeFixIt

Had a bad day yesterday one of the honda mowers fell off the back of our truck (when stationary obviously!)

It seems to have buckled the rear right hand side wheel, had a look on lings and they are £116 each!!!

anyone know where else i could get one a bit cheeper?