The Mower Bench

GardenKit

I recentley purchased a john deerd c52ks and have been using it a lot this week. So far i am impressed seems like a good mower and seems to chuck the grass out well.

The only issue i have with it is its single speed and is slow compared with my old victa 550 pro mulch. I have been using the John Deere on the same jobs the victa was used for and definately am losing some time, especially the ones where i need to mow a large area.

Is there any way i can alter the speed?

I recentley purchased a john deerd c52ks and have been using it a lot this week. So far i am impressed seems like a good mower and seems to chuck the grass out well.

The only issue i have with it is its single speed and is slow compared with my old victa 550 pro mulch. I have been using the John Deere on the same jobs the victa was used for and definately am losing some time, especially the ones where i need to mow a large area.

With regards to Victa mowers, if I can just slightly hijack this thread in search of a mower expert!? My Victa Master mulcher has been running great these last few years but this spring when it eventually starts it hisses and cuts out after running into long grass but struggles to re-start - exhaust blowing or main head gasket I don't know!? Can nyone out there shed their expertise on possible running issues. I love Victas so much, but I don't really want to buy another one!:001_smile:

With regards to Victa mowers, if I can just slightly hijack this thread in search of a mower expert!? My Victa Master mulcher has been running great these last few years but this spring when it eventually starts it hisses and cuts out after running into long grass but struggles to re-start - exhaust blowing or main head gasket I don't know!? Can nyone out there shed their expertise on possible running issues. I love Victas so much, but I don't really want to buy another one!:001_smile:

Sounds like a problem with the decompressor valve.

To test this theory replace the decompressor with a spark plug (same thread) and blank off the vacuum pipe that operates the decompessor.

It will be more difficult to pull over but may cure the problem.

Hello Jamesd,

I had a similar problem with a John Deere and as it was brand new took it back to the dealer who upped the revs by a couple of hundred, it absolutely transformed the performance.

When I asked him why the factory didn't set it at that in the first place he said it was to meet EU noise legislation.

Might be worth looking at that.

As Ashtree has said, you will likely find the revs are at around 2800. this is to comply with noise regs (the noise comes from the blade)

The engines are quite happy at 3600, but I would hesitate to get them up that far. Around 3100 will make an incredible difference to performance and forward speed, but not be overly loud.

To adjust the revs move the linkage plate forward on its mounting slots, but readjust the choke, or the cable may break.The lever needs to be at full extent when the choke is fully closed.

As Ashtree has said, you will likely find the revs are at around 2800. this is to comply with noise regs (the noise comes from the blade)

The engines are quite happy at 3600, but I would hesitate to get them up that far. Around 3100 will make an incredible difference to performance and forward speed, but not be overly loud.

To adjust the revs move the linkage plate forward on its mounting slots, but readjust the choke, or the cable may break.The lever needs to be at full extent when the choke is fully closed.

OK thanks i will look into doing that then if its a simple fix. Is the linkage plate on the engine? I havn't got the mower nearby to have a look at, and am not that familiar with it yet!

how would you be able to measure the revs if i adjust it?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers, James.

Edited by jamesd

The linkage plate is on the carb side of the engine and is secured by two torx screws at the top, in slotted holes. A little movement here makes a lot of difference to the revs.

But as I said, be very careful to reset the choke.

You will need tachometer to measure the revs.

Maybe best to ask the dealer who supplied it.

Hi, just a thought. i'd like to check the rev speed of our mowers and thought this might do it....? what do you think? :confused1:

New LCD Digital Laser Photo Tachometer Non Contact RPM Tach Meter | eBay

Had anybody got a parts diagram for a Honda hrb475 and 476 need a few nightly parts that would be much simpler to order with a part number.

Cheers

Rob

Hi heres a parts diagram for a honda hrb476c qxe used this when i needed to repair mine. Same site also has parts diagrams for lits of other mowers! Honda Lawnmower Parts / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda