Budget saw for logging

dan120d

Hi everyone.

I have just got a woodburner and intend to cut my own logs. I'm not in a position to spend a fortune on the worlds best chainsaw but neither do I want to waste money on cheap trash that will break after 2 months. I am looking at a McCullough cs360t as recommended by my local garden machinery shop. Now I have a couple of questions. I understand McCullough are owned by husqavarna and so should be well built. It is about £40 cheaper than the equivalent Stihl (£140 vs £180). Is it money well spent or should I stretch to the Stihl. Also is a 14" saw of the size and power that I'm considering suitable or are they only suited to very occasional garden pruning use?

I look forward to honest views and please bear in mind I cannot afford a super duper Stihl or husqervana. Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For general log burner use, a 14" bar is fine - just because it has a longer bar, doesn't mean it will work well with it - longer bars on smaller low power saws generally make them bad to use.

I would sugest that if you are going to buy a saw, spend the most possible and look at it as an investment as you will be saving on the cost of wood.

I would personally avoid most of the cheaper brands and stick to the mainstream Stihl or Husqvarna saws - they will last better, the spares will be more readilly available and have a higher resale value if you are looking to upgrade at a later date.

Also factor in head/ear/eye protection, steel toecap boots and a log horse if you are obtaining lengths of timber. You will also need a sharpening kit, two stroke oil and chain oil - stick to decent brands of two stroke oil - Stihl HP is a good choice.

I am sure Aspen will be mentioned soon:001_rolleyes::lol:

For general log burner use, a 14" bar is fine - just because it has a longer bar, doesn't mean it will work well with it - longer bars on smaller low power saws generally make them bad to use.

I would sugest that if you are going to buy a saw, spend the most possible and look at it as an investment as you will be saving on the cost of wood.

I would personally avoid most of the cheaper brands and stick to the mainstream Stihl or Husqvarna saws - they will last better, the spares will be more readilly available and have a higher resale value if you are looking to upgrade at a later date.

Also factor in head/ear/eye protection, steel toecap boots and a log horse if you are obtaining lengths of timber. You will also need a sharpening kit, two stroke oil and chain oil - stick to decent brands of two stroke oil - Stihl HP is a good choice.

I am sure Aspen will be mentioned soon:001_rolleyes::lol:

You forgot to say put a bit by for a port job! :biggrin:

Ha I sold my 1998 husky 136 for £110 and bought 1 :001_cool:

I have 2 136 Huskys, I am giving one to my nephew if he buys the appropriate PPE, and does not lend it out.

What a nice uncle:biggrin:

It will be OK till he cuts himself.

H-A