Theoretical, working on a suspected stolen saw??

Rich2484

One for the techs and dealer guys!

This is purely a theoretical thing, I havnt to my knowledge done this but.

If you had a really dodgy looking customer or a known person that came in with some dodgy (or suspected dodgy) saws that they wanted looked at and or fixed, what would you do. And what does the law say?

Do you refuse, and let them on there way.

Take the machines in and then phone around dealers checking the series numbers, if they are readable/visible.

Are the dealers/manufactures even have access to a stolen machine list? Are they even interested.

Do the police even care? If you called them.

I know on a moral ground it's wrong and if I did suspect so then it would be time to report the machines.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect this is not quite as hypthetical as it sounds.

If you refuse and they go on their way then the dilemma is over.

If you take it in and then inform the police, then the hole thing could get messy.... but its probably the correct thing to do.

You may look it bit foolish if its all above board though.

So, in short, my help is no help at all.

One for the techs and dealer guys!

This is purely a theoretical thing, I havnt to my knowledge done this but.

If you had a really dodgy looking customer or a known person that came in with some dodgy (or suspected dodgy) saws that they wanted looked at and or fixed, what would you do. And what does the law say?

Do you refuse, and let them on there way.

Take the machines in and then phone around dealers checking the series numbers, if they are readable/visible.

Are the dealers/manufactures even have access to a stolen machine list? Are they even interested.

Do the police even care? If you called them.

I know on a moral ground it's wrong and if I did suspect so then it would be time to report the machines.

I have been asked to fix a saw that had all the serial numbers ground off it.

Unless the serial number is registered stolen with the dealer and the police there is little to go on to get it back to the rightful owner.

Police wont be bothered unless they have information worth following up.

its your own call? - I suspected a stolen saw as the numbers had been ground- which I think is as good as it gets, what other situation would make you believe the saw is stolen?

you cant make judgements on people just by the look of them! (you have to hear there accent as well) :lol:

I know it's a tough thing.

But yes it is theoretical Barrie as I was thinking about it over a cuppa today.

Grass them up and run the risk of backlash as if the saws are stolen they could be very undesirable people anyway.

Or let them on there way refusing to work on them, knowing the stolen gear that could have very well been someone's on arb talk who has so posted about being broken into?

If a backlash is what happens then fine. I would rather report and go with it than the other.

But for it being harmless then I would rather have that route and look a bit foolish for being careful than not.

Would always speak to the customer over my concern first. As they could very not know the kit would be stolen anyway.

Repair it, write out the bill and ring them to tell them its fixed. Ive fixed many a saw thats ex hire shop and they all have had the numbers ground off. Apparently its policy to do it when they sell them on.

Edited by Ray1

I have been asked to fix a saw that had all the serial numbers ground off it.

Unless the serial number is registered stolen with the dealer and the police there is little to go on to get it back to the rightful owner.

Police wont be bothered unless they have information worth following up.

its your own call? - I suspected a stolen saw as the numbers had been ground- which I think is as good as it gets, what other situation would make you believe the saw is stolen?

you cant make judgements on people just by the look of them! (you have to hear there accent as well) :lol:

only problem here is you can legaly buy a stolen saw from police auctions as i have done in the past, serial numbers ground off,they cant find the owners so get put in auctions and sold stolen recovered with reciept and vat :confused1:

Slightly different . A dodgy looking trav came into my dealer a few years back with a Husky pro saw ( can't remember what now ) wanting to sell it . My dealer said yea might be interested but got to give it the once over in the work shop first though so took it in the back . One of the other guys checked the number against a list that had been issued amongst the dealers and low and behold it was nicked . Called the police . Bloke went app but did not hang around . drove out the yard like a loony . Think they got him in the end along with some others ......