Which circular saw?

dannytreacy

Hi guys, hope this is the right section for this.

I want to cut some oroko to make a bed, they are 6 x 3" lengths. I have cut oroko before and know it is very hard.

I need to get a circular saw to cut it and I'm looking at a Makita 5703r or 5704r. I wondered if anyone knew whether these would be up to the job?

I guess a lot of it is down to the blade so if anyone could recommend a saw blade that would be great, thanks!

Atb,

Danny.

The saw will cope, but the current version won't clear full depth (max cut 66mm and you need 75mm). This either means flipping it and re-sawing from the other side, or hand-ripping the remaining 10mm. I have done either, probably finish up with a preference for hand ripping, but don't like either.

It may be worth keeping an eye out for a secondhand 235mm saw on ebay, eg:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-25in-makita-skill-saw-/121252426770?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c3b353412

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-5903R-240V-Circular-Saw-/261372689684?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3cdb06bd14

They don't make much and they don't usually seem to have had much use, maybe because they are big, heavy and awkward. I have one and use my 190mm blade saw for preference where possible, but the big one comes out to play for ripping through 3" or 4" stock.

Iroko is pretty abrasive - any TCT tipped blade will be the best bet, just reckon on it being sacrificial.

Alec

Edited by agg221

Iroko makes my lungs hurt if I machine it, I would wear a good mask.

Boot sales are a good place to buy large circular saws, no one wants them as they are awkward and heavy to use.

Boot sale season won't be long, or ebay is a good place.

H-A

The saw will cope, but the current version won't clear full depth (max cut 66mm and you need 75mm). This either means flipping it and re-sawing from the other side, or hand-ripping the remaining 10mm. I have done either, probably finish up with a preference for hand ripping, but don't like either.

It may be worth keeping an eye out for a secondhand 235mm saw on ebay, eg:

9.25in makita skill saw | eBay

Makita 5903R 240V Circular Saw | eBay

They don't make much and they don't usually seem to have had much use, maybe because they are big, heavy and awkward. I have one and use my 190mm blade saw for preference where possible, but the big one comes out to play for ripping through 3" or 4" stock.

Iroko is pretty abrasive - any TCT tipped blade will be the best bet, just reckon on it being sacrificial.

Alec

Thanks for the links, I had planned on flipping the wood to do the remaining few mil but didn't really want to as it's just asking for trouble and a lot more finishing work.

I will look into the models you suggested on eBay.

Atb,

Danny.

255mm Evolution Rage 3 saw is awesome. Almost does a full sleeper so your Irko should be fine. It also cuts metal perfectly. I have a tile blade for mine for bricks etc.

Evolution RAGE3 FP2552 255mm Compound Mitre Saw 230V | Screwfix.com

I have the double bevel version for £310, it's great. I use it for fencing and decking, block paving and metal fabrication. True all rounder.

Iroko makes your lungs hurt because it is toxic, causes respiratory inflamation and serious allergic reactions, internally when inhaled and externally on the skin..... Wear appropriate respiratory protection and cover up if you have 'delicate skin'.

It's nasty stuff, used to use it loads when I was in boat fitting, poor mans Teak as it was known there. Learnt my lesson early on while machining it, asthma attack like symptons.... be safe. And get any splinters out soon as they go septic quick and hurt loads.

Anyway I use my Makita 5903R 235mm all the time, it's big but safer than trying to push a saw thats not up to the job like the smaller 195mm versions. If your used to swinging big chainsaws about then the weight of the saw will be nothing to you....it sits on the wood anyway so your only pushing it along.

2 cuts is always a bad idea...... tensions in timber cause it to move, twist and cup as the tension is released by the cut. Do it with one cut and you minimise blade gripping by the timber or trying to push the saw into a slightly curved kerf. Use the right tool for the job....

TCT blade of course but don't worry about it being sacrificial, Iroko won't kill it, if it does it's not fit for purpose and you are due a refund.

Best find someone with a ripsaw, table saw, panel saw who can wip it down in minutes....

Those Evolutions are great for the money though if your only using them occasionally, good power and will go through anything...

wouldn't use a panel saw as they aren't designed for rough lumber.

i've offered my ripsaw though, goes through 6"+

Really??? Used an Altendorf F45 for years in a big workshop ripping down and dimensioning waney edged stock. Have one myself as do many of the guys I know in the furniture industry..... they are great for straight line ripping rough stock, dimensioning timber aswell as panel duties, just change blades.