Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

3 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

I'm not asking you to defend anything, I just asked a question to which I didn't know the answer. Having said that, the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that it's a bad idea ( to use a modified saw for work). 

Sorry, I meant that it is an open discussion and am not going to take up the "porting is best and must be done" stance, it is a personal choice and welcome the comments already made by all and the technical aspects and members views being noted. 

I didn't mean for it to come over as being arrogant.....those that know me know what I am like. Often grumpy but always try to help out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Can you get 20hp out of an 880/881?
Would it last?
How much £?
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I had the Yamaha RD125YPVS in mind....water cooled and a very interesting power valve on the exhaust port that works on a cam system lowering it for low revs and then raising it as the revs increase thus making much more power plus the porting arrangements will be far more advanced!

Get some space frame and a Rotax engine...that would be interesting!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmp01 said:

I know. But its skirt trimming on inlet side as you said and crown trimming on exhaust / transfer sides (not crown trimming on inlet side, which is what needs editing...).

STICKY..... STICKY..... STICKY..... 😀

Apologies, I must have read that 10 times and must have got brain fog, now corrected:thumbup: 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I thought that was an urban myth.  :- )

Don’t suppose you have a reference?

Its usually in the tool manual and Puwer requires you follow that manual and have it with you ;) K . 

Edited by Khriss
( and I am sure yr not trolling ;) )

53 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

There we go then; if PUWER doesn't allow modified equipment, we have our answer. You shouldn't be using a ported saw for work. 

Having said that, we seem to have also concluded that HSE inspectors are a bunch of monkeys who wouldn't know a 200t from a bag or potatoes. 

I believe that your only allowed to use approved accessories so if it isn’t made by the manufacturer you can’t use it. Look at the notices about the broggio cutting heads on clearing saws 

2 hours ago, dumper said:

Having had experience of a HSE investigation if you kept your mouth shut they wouldn’t know if the saw was altered they only look for chain catcher, chain break, stop switch maintenance records, training and issued and signed for PPE they didn’t even start or run the saw. Personally I think I could have shown him a disc cutter and he would have been none the wiser 

Now this is an interesting one.......firstly as it is pretty much what I said about my time in manufacturing and what I had to administrate as a Production Manager and.....note the check for chain catcher, chain break and maintenance records.

How many out there could supply an invoice for a chainsaw service that was carried out in the last year and how many are running a top handled saw with a missing chain catcher?

I purchase 15pcs of MS200T chain catchers at a time because only 2 in 10 MS200Ts that come in have a chain catcher and most have a chain brake full of chip that is a bit...hanging!

Then there is the question of Chinese non OEM parts and the non CE marked Chinese copied saws. Again a pretty grey area.

The few times I have been involved with the HSE, they have looked at maintenance, safety device testing, staff training and training documents.....different industry but the same process! 

14 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Puwer requires you follow that manual and have it with you ;) K . 

Alas, I’m not convinced about that either.

If I take (as a starting point) that I think that I can legally allow my employees to use a most excellent ‘spudded’ saw (devils advocate, you understand) could you show me where it says I can’t?

love and peace.

I had the Yamaha RD125YPVS in mind....water cooled and a very interesting power valve on the exhaust port that works on a cam system lowering it for low revs and then raising it as the revs increase thus making much more power plus the porting arrangements will be far more advanced!
Get some space frame and a Rotax engine...that would be interesting!

What do you reckon HP you could get from an 880/881?
And what will it cost me?
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]