Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Apples Vs Oranges

You need to use the same sprocket , bar and chain.

I know but Matty likes a 3/8 as a standard so it saves on buying two chain types but I find that a bit grabby on a small saw and opt for 0.325 as it is smoother.

I couldn't be bothered to do the change, just had too much on this weekend and as it was, finished at well after 6.00pm Sunday night!

Agree there the 560 or 357 looses loads on 3/8 on any bar over 15"

It would be interesting to do both on a 18-20" bar, full chisel on a big lump of wood, that would prove a thing or two.

Both saws had a similar amount of porting, the 560 had more done to the transfers, the 357, more on the inlet. Mufflers make a similar noise!

Oh and those are husgvarna 154/254 cylinders. And what to do make it better ;)

Do both, not sure if you are asking as you are trying to fit either on the same bottom end.

The 254 ports up very well, ou have to be careful with the squish but there is plenty that can be done and usually includes widening of the exhaust and inlet ports, lowering the lower transfer and a bit of re-shaping of the upper fransfers and inlet/exhaust ports.

Also the air filter can be modified, there was a rumour that the 254 was made a bit quick and was too close to its larger brother 266XP so they restricted the intake and it can be opened up:thumbup:

Just wanted to say that I have sent spud aka Steve 4 saws over the past few months in various stages of disrepair and he has worked wonders with all of them and is very reasonably priced too, not to mention honest about what's worth fixing and what's not. If anyone is fed up with sub standard repairs from local dealers like I was then I would highly recommend paying the £8 or so postage and sending your saws Steve's way. Should be on some sort of commission here maybe ??!!

Just wanted to say that I have sent spud aka Steve 4 saws over the past few months in various stages of disrepair and he has worked wonders with all of them and is very reasonably priced too, not to mention honest about what's worth fixing and what's not. If anyone is fed up with sub standard repairs from local dealers like I was then I would highly recommend paying the £8 or so postage and sending your saws Steve's way. Should be on some sort of commission here maybe ??!!

I will second this statement all day long ! Steve is a top geezer and no mistake . An engineer by trade and a good crafts man . He has ported my 346 , 372 , and 390 . . All 3 are totally reliable and perform way above the standard saw that they were . :001_smile:

It would be interesting to do both on a 18-20" bar, full chisel on a big lump of wood, that would prove a thing or two.

Both saws had a similar amount of porting, the 560 had more done to the transfers, the 357, more on the inlet. Mufflers make a similar noise!

Did a comparison over the weekend both with standard new 15"64DL chains and the ported one is definitely quicker... Around 2 secs in 20" timber but it's close in small stuff.

I went in to my local dealer and he was kind enough to reset the auto tune and gave me some read outs.The high jet was over 100 and the low around 34 , no idea what this means !! He said usually they over compensate for an air leak so that could be the case although the port work obviously requires more fuel.

Back to work with it this week felling Sitka averaging 90ft the 560's just eat this stuff but the ported one was my go to saw , you could really feel it snedding out and dressing timber until as a typical 560 trait the rear anti vibe gave out and I retired the ported one for my usual work saw and it will have to wait until I go in to town at the weekend for a new one.

All in all though it was worth doing, I would like to at some point Change the carb mount incase there is an air leak as it can be the only place it's coming from if there is one but the saw seems to be getting stronger as the new piston ring breaks in.

Top job Steve and thanks again.