eye pain from corneal abrasion.

Matthew Storrs

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those that say their glasses steam up so they don't wear the; fork out for a decent pair of anti fog and look after them. It's all well and good saying they steam up, they get covered in crud etc but you only have two eyes. Ask a blind person what it's like not to be able to see. It's not that difficult to lose an eye doing tree work.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

When you say safety galsses , do you actually mean goggles? The only reason I ask is that in my experiance with safety glasses its still very easy for stuff to flick in under neath them. I'm do a lot of work with barb wire and I dread one day of the inevitable, and in the sunshine I'd happily wear a pair of goggles alday but when its raining and muddy I can't get anything done with the ruddy things, forever getting mud on them and then I go to wipe them and even my clothes/hands are muddy which makes it even worse:laugh1:

I may try a decent pair of goggles- at least for barb wire work- any recommendations?

Rx goggles for sports like racket ball, tennis, swimming, skiing exist here Stateside.

Smith optics would be one international company, Oakley, Spy+ are other brands.

The companies offering anti fog capabilities I suspect are the models your shopping for.

Make sure your current with you Rx and get your eyes properly protected. If the cost is really expensive, remember that price when you did have 20/20 vision.

easy-lift guy

I wear glasses all the time and I had to have safety glasses for my last job so I had to get a pair with prescription lenses. I ended up getting a pair of bolle trackers which have an insert for your prescription which sits between your eyes and the ordinary lens. Don't really have any problems with steaming up.

When you say safety galsses , do you actually mean goggles? The only reason I ask is that in my experiance with safety glasses its still very easy for stuff to flick in under neath them. I'm do a lot of work with barb wire and I dread one day of the inevitable, and in the sunshine I'd happily wear a pair of goggles alday but when its raining and muddy I can't get anything done with the ruddy things, forever getting mud on them and then I go to wipe them and even my clothes/hands are muddy which makes it even worse:laugh1:

I may try a decent pair of goggles- at least for barb wire work- any recommendations?

we stay with glasses not goggles Matthew. I've had enough seeds, hunks of sawdust etc dug out of my eyes and enough scratches and abrasions and nights feeling like someone has thrown sand in my eyes not to wear them. We use Bolle which do a good anti fog and are a wrap around type of safety glass so they stop most stuff. We still get some stuff flick underneath but it's minimal and definitely better than compared to not wearing anything. I tried a pair of military type tank glasses but they were useless. Safety glasses are now required PPE in most arb companies.

I suffer from a thing called recurrent erosion syndrome, which means that the cornea has trouble recovering from any damage and scar tissue can stick to the eyelid during the night - horrible. The best solution I've found is a regular nightly application of Viscotears - get it from Boots. No problems since I started doing this.

I think they call it retinal erosion. Where you have had a bad scratch on your eye at one point and it heals but then one day randomly it gets removed by your eyelid or a twig. I have had this for about two years now but haven't suffered any pain for at least 2-3 months (touch wood). The ointment one of you have mentioned sounds like it may be worth a shot. Apparently one of the other cures involves a needle in the eye. Sounds like fun, hold me back

Life is like an onion; you peel off layer after layer and then you find there is nothing in it.

Weston Tree Services Tree Surgeon Tree Surgery in Inverness and the Highlands