Mini digger

Fencing

Hi Looking to get a mini digger for our fencing business (and a self build)

Couple of questions for a more experienced audience,

track life, possibly looking at a digger with 50% tracks, what sort of time will that give me (we mainly work in fields etc cant see much work on hard stoney tarmac type ground)

been looking in the 3k-5k bracket and need to be piped for (auger) any suggestions? repuytable dealers etc?

any other info?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry too much about how much 'tread' the tracks have - it is a good indication of how old they are but they are more likely to fail through stretching/snapping before they actually wear out. Have a good look at the sprockets (wear here is obvious as the teeth become narrow and sharp) and rollers (have someone track the machine while you watch - make sure there isn't any play/movement around the roller's axles as this will mean the bearings are shot). The idler (opposite end to the sprocket) should also not have any play in it when tracking. All of these will cost decent money to repair - rubber tracks themselves are not as expensive as you may think (a couple of hundred quid a side on a small machine).

I don't know how youv'e managed without one if your a fencing contractor? In my experiance a digger with the right attachments is as essential to a fencer as a chipper is to a tree surgeon. Your budget is pretty low unfortunately as they do hold their value, you might be able to find a mid 90s kubota in okish condition.

I use my one with a post banger and an auger, plus it does any pre grading works and with the grab on it does any scrub clearance that may need doing prior to fencing. Always getting asked to do ditching and track maintenance with it too- worth its weight in Rhodium!

Mines a 3 tonner but a 1.5t is a bit more handy in many cases- being easier to transport, gets into back gardens, sips diesel,

As others have said I wouldn't worry about track life too much as they are reletively cheap and easy to replace.I'd be concerned with the slew ring/track motors/pins and bushes on an old machine.

You'll not get anything in that budget from a dealer without it being rubbish. Look for private sales.

Rubber tracks are fine, I have studs for mine if the going gets tough.

I'm not too far from you if you want a knowledgeable eye to look over any prospective purchase, particularly if it's to the South of you. Just PM me.

You should also join this forum:

The British Construction Equipment Forum - Powered by vBulletin

HTH

You'll not get anything in that budget from a dealer without it being rubbish. Look for private sales.

Rubber tracks are fine, I have studs for mine if the going gets tough.

I'm not too far from you if you want a knowledgeable eye to look over any prospective purchase, particularly if it's to the South of you. Just PM me.

You should also join this forum:

The British Construction Equipment Forum - Powered by vBulletin

HTH