How did you get work when you first started out?

Big T

I started off with locals and then word spread it took a while :/ well 1 year but now I am fully booked for Jan and Feb with a few decent contracts. The more effort you put in it will reward you ten fold but it does take time :) I used a ad in a local magazine, main work comes through word of mouth as I tend to talk with my clients and take time to listen to there stories and also help them with little things :) they then see you go the extra mile and recommend you ;) Good Luck and wishing you a prosperous 2014 :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the replies, its helped to cheer me up! Its easy to get down when times are difficult as you all prob know! Anyways thanks to you guys I have a new determination to make this work! Thanks!:)

There are times I look in my diary and it starts getting a bit short of work, then I start to worry where the next job is going to come in? But one way or another it does. The joys of self employment? I would not have it any other way! Stick at it and try not to get down.

I started on 01/01/2000 hard to find anyone sober apart from me!

As its been said:

Cards in News Agents / Post Office windows in the areas you "would like to work" means a ride round but I found it was worth it.

Cards in posh Garden Centres if they allow them....free or small donation in the charity box helps.The wives who live in the big houses shop there.

Make a Company Web Site, suitable email address up.

Sweat Shirt with Company Name on

Nice Portfolio/book showing types of work you do, insurance etc for when your phone starts ringing.

The rest you have already done, good luck in your new venture.

Just liked your fb page, please have a look at mine. I dont work full time for myself, so i have a 'hobby business' at the moment. I too help the local church when asked, it shows people you are trustworthy when they see you doing a good job / deed.

Cheers for the "Like"! I will like yours when the notification comes through!:)

Hi Big T, lots of good advice here. I will be going three years in April on my own. My best advice is that when you do get work, you price it properly, not too high, not to low, and you finish it to the highest standard everytime! No dents in the grass or saw dust on the drive. It takes a while but work will really come in from word of mouth. I thought it would never happen, but. 90% of my work comes this way now. Good luck!