If you need advice on a generator for your house

gensetsteve

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also know a man who made a shocking serious mess of his hand, when he inadvertently reached for the live Plug that was reverse wired (to a generator) to feed the electricty back in through a Wall socket.

It did'nt help that he then allowed the quite serious burn to get badly infected.

Despite being described as a "Risk Taker" by our health and safety Officer, not sommat I would have dreamt of doing.

For this very glaringly obvious reason. Because I know I would forget.:blushing:

Def an "either or" change-over switch, and correctly wired in.

What ever you do. Do it safely I dont want to get into giving advice to non qualified people on the net on how to cut corners. Get someone local to sort it properly or have an early night with a torch or candle. I was refering more to what generator to buy on the end of an extension lead. Back feeding the ring mains is a seriously bad idea I know we are all switched on practical people but when the winds howling the wife and kids are screaming your freezing cold and the brain has slowed down it only takes one little mistake. Stay safe people :thumbup1:

I am going for the changeover switch, all said and done its only £200 for a decent three phase unit and the whole yard is sorted. We have one of those massive diesel tow along lighting towers and the generator on that is a silent pack three phase unit, I will have a chat with the sparks and see about making up some leads off of that. I dont understand where the earth comes from on a genny , is it not really the same as the neutral?

Bob

I am going for the changeover switch, all said and done its only £200 for a decent three phase unit and the whole yard is sorted. We have one of those massive diesel tow along lighting towers and the generator on that is a silent pack three phase unit, I will have a chat with the sparks and see about making up some leads off of that. I dont understand where the earth comes from on a genny , is it not really the same as the neutral?

Bob

You would need to put an earth spike in, to earth the genny. You need to speak to a local spark and they will explain what you need.

Martin

Interesting thread. We have a 1.5 kva Honda petrol generator having spent 3 days over christmas many years ago without power. Its used for lights, fridge and central heating controls with cooking being done on a camp stove.

We switch off the incoming switch to the consumer unit to disconnect from the grid and then plug the genny into a socket on one of the rings. I know this will bypass the RCD for all the sockets and the isolation from the grid needs careful attention, but I'm a bit concerned about the earthing having read the comments above.

When we isolate the consumer unit and break the neutral connection then that leaves our system without the earth to neutral connection. If this isnt in the generator then do I need to add this link in the generator plug?

We live in an area where power cuts are both frequent and prolonged - the above is standard practice. A 2.8kW generator keeps the lights, tv and freezers going

We live in an area where power cuts are both frequent and prolonged - the above is standard practice. A 2.8kW generator keeps the lights, tv and freezers going

Probably but its illegal. Cutting a tree down for me is not illegal but I would not attempt it as I dont have a clue I would recommend you get someone in that knows what they are doing. Aspenarb has the right idea an will be here next year.

Bob

Careful how much you put on one phase when you run the house a 3 phase genny needs to be balanced within 20%

Careful how much you put on one phase when you run the house a 3 phase genny needs to be balanced within 20%

I've always wondered about this need for balancing with 3ph gensets, I can see a problem with the neutral floating if the windings are star but why else?

...and are they wired star or delta?