Tree's failing?.....So move the target.

David Humphries

David, a long shot maybe, my friend / neighbour is a first class fabricator and could make you some classic / original tree guards worthy of these vet trees. He's just set up on his own and would jump at the chance of such an artisan / prestigious opportunity. I'd pretty much guarantee he could compete on price too (even with shipping) A rough sketch or phone call to discuss requirement all he'd need and boom, you'd have craftsman, British made quality product and be supporting a rural micro business! Or, there's always the Chinese, imported rubbish made from dismantled Royal Navy warships, made by peasants in dreadful conditions and paid peanuts! Good thread!

No long shot Kevin, we did consider that but the spend on the path & fence move was already a significant outlay.

We were happy to let nature take its course here as one of the first principals of veteran tree management is in essence 'non' intervention.

I'll bare your proposal in mind though as there are always situations here and at other sites where propping may be a consideration.

May be worth your acquaintance reading up on the Anne Frank chestnut.

That was a learning curve for those involved in the retention of a heritage tree

Thanks for your input.

I do know of a far more 'prestigious' tree that's in the process of assessing its current supports and the site managers are looking for something that's slightly more 'different' than the norm.

I'll pm you :thumbup1:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work David,

over the years in this job there's been one tree in particular I've noticed that seems to adapt well to being windblown or storm damaged, Larch. Can think of a few down in fields and open spaces that send out these reiterations like the ones seen on this lateral branch below, like mini trees. Seen these reiterations on other species as well, but Larch seems to thrive on it.

larch.jpg.3cd3e54ecd96f282d6f74b07a3be80fe.jpg

Abraham Lincoln once quoted

"Character is like a Tree, and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it! The Tree is the Real thing!"

It's a shame some just see the shadow in my opinion!

Fantastic work on all accounts David, if we can't help the old weak and vulnerable then what can we do :)

I think David's in a privileged position working where he does.

We attended this windblown Poplar in the centre of Glasgow recently which had fallen across one of the busiest streets in town.

I noticed a large part of the roots were still intact and suggested to the city tree officer that we leave the tree as it was and just build a bridge over the trunk.............'No' was the short answer.

59766751468f5_fallenpoplar.jpg.4c6119d449537275c3726da6e0e6513a.jpg

I think David's in a privileged position working where he does.

We attended this windblown Poplar in the centre of Glasgow recently which had fallen across one of the busiest streets in town.

I noticed a large part of the roots were still intact and suggested to the city tree officer that we leave the tree as it was and just build a bridge over the trunk.............'No' was the short answer.

:lol: Brilliant!!!!!!:thumbup:

Here's a fine example (Church path at Felbrigg Hall in Norfolk) of an avenue lime that has fallen & been left to reiterate its canopy.

It's still part of the avenue which has been suplimented with new plantings to replace fallen trees that were not root intact.

Particuarly impressed by the root regeneration in the last image.

Should this have been cleared up?

DSC06754.jpg.6cd9c357ce35fa2ed36dc9875bbf53a5.jpg

DSC06750.jpg.c7bcbf5fb36f0d9176a99553923673cb.jpg

DSC06748.jpg.59f9d06bda7b048d2bb3dd91f976a17e.jpg

DSC06747.jpg.e5722fd8600ca73b0cc03a823340cba6.jpg

DSC06762.jpg.612ce9bf10ad9d882e24162e0084b3c7.jpg

fel.jpg.9c4196c750d373e07a1cb04d77680627.jpg