Land Rover driving through flooded roads

chopperpete

My understanding is that once a road is closed, it does not matter the condition of the road, you are no longer legally allowed to drive along it without permission.

The barriers they have put up this time are continuous from hedge to hedge. The local council don't do it on all roads, just major routes, due to the problems of drivers who can't drive through flooded water safely and then create hazards for other road users.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treequip,

100% correct on both posts.

We often choose to go the poorer, worser, less ploughed and gritted back road over the mountain when it snows.

Simply cos the main Road, which is more drivable, is generally blocked by useless persons of all genders who CANNOT drive, in anything less than perfect conditions.

At least on the back road one is not hampered by these incompetents.

regards,

Marcus

Does anyone know what powers the Police or LA have to close a flooded road seemingly on a whim? Normally it would require a Traffic Regulation Order I would have thought, and evidently most flood closures dont have one.

Also who decides when a road becomes "unsafe" to drive? The Wellney road evidently wasn't unsafe, since the bloke in the LR drove it without drama (as for that matter did the bloke in the tractor who incidentally wasn't criticised despite the fact that if it was unsafe for one it must have been unsafe for both). God help us if it your everyday car driving Bobby, since it is becoming very evident that they are utterly incapable of negotiating floods - just about every news clip of a flood lately has had a police vehicle stuck in it.

It really irritates me that we have a situation where people of obviously limited ability can arbitrarily assume that everyone else has even less ability and make rulings on that basis.

Incidentally and contrary to the trend, I was impressed by Devon & Cornwall police during the floods round Barnstaple before xmas 2012 since they were turning cars back from flooded roads but at least 3 roadblocks allowed me (in a well-equipped Defender with snorkel) through after advising me of the extent of the flood and asking me not to take risks. In every case the police officers were sensible, respectful, and courteous. If all were like that I'd have no complaint!

my mrs phoned me up saying she could,nt get home because of some floods, I said id go and get her in my 90.

I gets to the floods and theres a road closed sign there, ignored that, carried on through and a copper wades across the flood.

he says, that were a bit cheeky coming through a road closed sign.

I said, well I aint going to get stuck.

he says, no but now ive got to tell all the idiots that are trying to follow you.

The problem in the village where I live is that when it floods and the numpties come out to showboat in their 4x4s, the bow waves they create sends water over peoples sandbags/flood defences into their homes.

HI MATE thats what happen to mate of mind a chap in a 90 he was thinking it was :lol::lol:to go up down flooded road and all flood water went in my mates house so my mate went out and told the chap what he could do :001_tt2:off mate :001_tt2:thanks jon :thumbup:

I though that was what snorkels were for. Don't LR owners wait for a situation just like that? I know I would. See it here every year up the mountain. People with their pretend 4WD's trying to negotiate the whakapapa road without chains. Rav 4's and the like are the usual casualty but I did see an almost brand new A8 that had done a complete roll on the side of the road one year. The signs on the way up say 4WD or chains and there are people who turn back or fit chains to any vehicle not kitted out to deal with the conditions but some just drive on through. Same with the floods. Crawl through the waiotaka straight floods, panic and then stop right in the middle in 2 foot deep water. Everyone behind comes to a grinding halt mid flood.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App