Compulsory drugs testing

arbogrunt

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive worked in the industry for a few years now and weed smokin' is rife, I'm sure you'll all agree ? I threw one guy off a job a couple of years ago for puffing at breakfast time ! Compulsory testing would cripple the industry I think ! Too many car drivers are stoned as it is - thats the place to test people - on the roads ! Im a pro' sporstman and we get testsed randomly, a few people fail each year, mainly for coke - weed stays in your system for about 30 days remember !!:proud:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm glad to hear most people are of the same opinion as me!. I've been keeping an eye on the guys who are quite heavy puffers and as someone said, they are MOODY buggers when they don't have a spliff.

I think the general concensus is - if you going to do it, leave it for the weekend.

Don't agree with the use of illegal drugs full stop. If any of my staff turned up to work for me puffing a joint they'd get a smack in the mouth and their P45.

i dont think a smack in the mouth would do a smoker any good, as people say they are moody, i smoke quite alot, even used to do at work!!!!!! but then i wasnt climbing and was doing **** epicormic work!!!! but no excuse.... i wouldnt smoke now unless it was the end of the day and someone else had it, i never take it to work, strictly a night time and weekend thing but ill also add i dont smoke fags full stop.............

I think you have to put youself and you familys security first,if there is a chance someone is going to put you or them selves in danger you can't take the risk.

Good Point.

...and I'm sure we have all seen the recent documentaries, comparing drunk drivers with drugged drivers.

They perform just as bad.

Drugs / alcohol do impair your reactions/ judgement and coordination and also reduce your adrenalin production, which is there to protect you.

There's a place for drugs and alcohol and that place is not up a tree or around a ground crew or driving back home.

As for random testing, its the old case of if you don't do it you don't need to worry about it.

If any of my staff turned up to work for me puffing a joint they'd get a smack in the mouth and their P45.

Seems a bit excessive. Are you just being brave because your on the internet? Many people are braver in the internet. Take Facebook for instance - people write all kinds of stupid stuff and get into all kinds of trouble. Be cautious about being brave.

However, if your really interested in smacking people's mouths, try JKD at Tommy Carruthers Gym in Glasgow, I think you'd like it.

There is one problem with testing for Cannabis and that is it stays in the body a long time at almost the same level as when it was taken, thus even with random testing the presence of it in the body is NOT indicative of if it was use at work on the day, or at night the day before or 5 days before at the weekend or 21 days before that or even 31 day before, so all a positive result means is at sometime in the past ~35days has smoked or taken Cannabis or just been present in a room with people smoking (passive smoking)

Also all this talk of “illegal drugs” not at work is bullshit of the highest order, there are plenty of legal and prescription/non prescription drugs that impair people in far more dangerous ways than Cannabis use at work in moderation, also blanket statements like

“I'm sure we have all seen the recent documentaries, comparing drunk drivers with drugged drivers. They perform just as bad. Drugs / alcohol do impair your reactions/ judgement and coordination and also reduce your adrenalin production, which is there to protect you.”
so generalise things and don’t mirror facts, even the slightest drop of alcohol impairs someone however this cannot be said of Cocaine & speed or dope, witch is why fighter pilots and other people who do high stress dangerous jobs ware reaction to surroundings and inputs along with decision making are routinely given Cocaine &/or speed.

Its also worth remembering that if you look at the studies of road accidents the world over ware THC (Cannabis) is detected in the blood of victims witch the press often report but they negate to say that alcohol is also found in 50% to 100% of the same victims as well and is the major factor in the accident rather than THC (% variance comes from different independent studies of victims in specific countries)

Take some simple quotes from research by recognised bodies with regards to driving:

The Transport Research Laboratory - UK:

“reaction times to motorway hazards were not significantly affected”
“TRL have shown that alcohol and tiredness have a more adverse effect on driving ability.”
“The results of the cannabis and driving study agree with similar research carried out in Australia, the US and Holland”

U.S. Department of Transportation:

"This program of research has shown that marijuana, when taken alone, produces a moderate degree of driving impairment which is related to the consumed THC dose. The impairment manifests itself mainly in the ability to maintain a steady lateral position on the road, but its magnitude is not exceptional in comparison with changes produced by many medicinal drugs and alcohol. Drivers under the influence of marijuana retain insight in their performance and will compensate, where they can, for example, by slowing down or increasing effort. As a consequence, THC's adverse effects on driving performance appear relatively small."