7.5 Ton Truck Laws

MrArb

Forget the 7.5 ton and go for a 11 or a 13 ton same size wheel base fit in the same driveways but Carry 3 times as much very similar running costs. I have owned two 7.5 toners and one 13 the 13 you can just keep filling and never worry about being overloaded.

Operators licence is easy to get and easy to comply with,I cannot understand the mindset over here about using a transit for tree work bloody use less,go straight out and get that truck.

Forget the 7.5 ton and go for a 11 or a 13 ton same size wheel base fit in the same driveways but Carry 3 times as much very similar running costs. I have owned two 7.5 toners and one 13 the 13 you can just keep filling and never worry about being overloaded.

Operators licence is easy to get and easy to comply with,I cannot understand the mindset over here about using a transit for tree work bloody use less,go straight out and get that truck.

+1 on this but on the small truck side of things they do still tick all the boxes for many . We run trucks anyway for all the clearance jobs but our transit goes off doing small domestic tree surgery jobs during the week with three guys in the cab and a small timberwolf chipper, most days they are out there 8 hours and I would say 90%of the time the transit only comes back partly loaded. So its not one coat fits all but those that have outgrown the transit/4x4 and trailer would soon see the error of their ways if they got a decent lorry. I dont hold with the access thing because I can bend our artic into 99% of the jobs we do and some of those are clearance jobs down normal streets, I think the artic is only 30cm wider than the transit.

Bob

Thinking about investing in a 7.5t tipper. Iv got HGV I&II licences so that's not an issue but im unsure of all the other laws.

Can anybody give me some experienced info.

I basically need a list of things to consider before buying.

:thumbup:

Tachograph digi card etc

Operators licence- renewable every 5 years

Inspection/ pmi every eight weeks

We run a 7.5 tonne Man tgl8180 excellent truck 7 years old now we tow a bandit 150xp ,for us this gives us good capacity whilst being able to get in places,plus the bigger trucks do last better if looked after,they are stronger.7.5 tonner is not too bad on fuel ,18-22 mpg dependant on use.:thumbup1:

I agree & would love to use an hgv but as most of my work is domestic theres no way my customers would allow me to park on their drive. I even have a few who do not like my 3.5t on the drive in case it breaks the paving. I would imagine there are a few more in the same position. Generally you use what vehicles suit your needs.

That needs a C+E licence then, so us oldies potentially those over 34 years old cannot tow that much on a 7.5 tonne.

Anyone younger will need both tests.

Yes I've got c1e which takes me up to 11,000 kg gross train weight,so if you've got a pre 97 license you only need to do a heavy trailer test ,but that still costs money ,without c1e you can go up to 8250kg.