"What's on your bench today" as a separate forum?

morten

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think if members have a chainsaw issue, they can post a new thread or just post on my thread.

The "whats on my bench" thread has become the meeting place for like minded techies to chat and for help to be given, especially for longer standing members, I guess guys that haven't been on here so long probabably post new threads.

It all works, I am happy it has become something worthy of comment.....cheers all:thumbup:

When do we get a "Who's on your bench" forum?

Now that's an idea. But id o believe there is a fav tv girls thread.....

The bench thread is very good. Always a good laugh, but we do have laughs on other threads in the chainsaw forum.

It has taught a lot of people things that would otherwise not be told.

And has saved a lot of saws from the scrap pile.

Always a good read. And normally my first port of call when I log on. I always look at the today's posts aswell.

I sometime have to search for the bench thread as it doesn't always show up.

I like it the way it is. I suspect Spud only has the usual 24hrs. in a day. You can't expect him to do his job, fix saws, etc., answer questions on 'Arbtalk' and administer another forum. Mind, I hear strong coffee works wonders for those that wish not to sleep.

I was one of those trawlers; I can't remember but think it was on early 80s when i started reading from post '1'. By the time I'd finished it had got to late 80s or early 90s. Lots didn't make sense at the time, lots still don't but there's so

E that now does make sense. Plus there's been all the general banter too.

It's not like a Qs & As sheet with a multiple choice test. It's almost like a conversation. The bits that go off topic, are often cunningly disguised as further help, as someone may say, "Ah, that reminds me of a fellow thirty years back who used to use XYZ. I think you can get the same thing from here..."

Also the notion that Spud could start another forum, where one could categorize every problem and where one could glean useful info into ones' problems. Assumes all the other contributors of help would also have spare time to take part. You generally need more than one wheel on the tractor.

(Now waiting for a photo of a one-wheeled tractor towing a 60' trailer through the wilds of Borneo/Wolverhampton.)

I like it the way it is. I suspect Spud only has the usual 24hrs. in a day. You can't expect him to do his job, fix saws, etc., answer questions on 'Arbtalk' and administer another forum. Mind, I hear strong coffee works wonders for those that wish not to sleep.

It's not like a Qs & As sheet with a multiple choice test. It's almost like a conversation. The bits that go off topic, are often cunningly disguised as further help, as someone may say, "Ah, that reminds me of a fellow thirty years back who used to use XYZ. I think you can get the same thing from here..."

Also the notion that Spud could start another forum, where one could categorize every problem and where one could glean useful info into ones' problems. Assumes all the other contributors of help would also have spare time to take part. You generally need more than one wheel on the tractor.

(Now waiting for a photo of a one-wheeled tractor towing a 60' trailer through the wilds of Borneo/Wolverhampton.)

I did NOT suggest that Spud would be responsible for a new forum, or be an administrator or moiderator in it. I simply suggested that a new forum category would be created that would cover equipment repair, and chose the "What's on my bench" title for it.

The reason for my suggestion (as I described in my original post) is that, while a thread containing 5.400 posts is entertaining to follow, it makes it near impossible for users to search when looking for assistance in how to make certain repair by searching postings on similar problems. This leads to many new posts in the forum about problems that have been answered countless times already.

Furthermore, I don't see why a separate forum section created for equipment repair would limit the ongoing and entertaining anecdotes and banter between the frequent posters of this forum.

I realise that the arbtalk forum is primarily a social media, and not a Q&A or how-to reference, but I also know that it is being used to search for answers to problems, and if a minor reorganisation would make that easier, it would make it more useful for more people, cause less redundant postings to be made (repeat questions).

But it is evident from the replies to my original posting that there is no support for my suggestion, from neither administrators/owners nor frequent posters, rendering the idea dead :)

Edited by morten