"What's on your bench today" as a separate forum?

morten

Spud's "What's on your bench today?" thread now contains more than 5.400 posts. Congratulations to Spud (and others) for making this the most popular post in the Chainsaws forum.

But it is unfortunately near impossible to search the thread, and questions and answers in the thread are impossible to follow, since they are interspersed with other unrelated postings.

What do you guys think about asking Steve to create a new forum under "Equipment forum" named "What is on my bench"? Although most questions relate to chainsaws, not all do, and therefore it should not be made a sub-forum of the chainsaw forum.

With a forum of its own, each thread would contain posts that relate to the original posting (although detours and off topic posts would obviously occur). And searching for answers for a particular problem would be a lot easier that way, too.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is difficult to trawl through a thread such as Spud's, as we do tend to drift on and off topic.

But it is the ability to have a bit of good humoured banter between the serious (and for some, boring) subject matter that makes the forum what it is.

It is, after all, a forum rather than a reference library, so I tend to agree that it is fine as it is.

It may however be that members with specific questions should post a fresh thread within the chainsaw forum rather than ask within an existing thread as is happening in the 'bench' thread. In this way, as long as the thread title is descriptive, it would be easy to 'search' a specific subject.

The thread in question has contributed about 90% of what I currently know about chainsaw mechanics, which is only around 1% of what I should know!

Like has been mentioned, if it were turned into a sub forum it would lose a lot of what makes it entertaining. I like to tune in a week at a time, catch up on it and treat it like an episode of a series. (My life is very sad).

If people have specific questions the chainsaw maintenance sub forum is already there. Just as long as people don't retort to these questions with "read the what's on your bench today thread" as some people have to eat, sleep and work, and don't have time to sift through Spud's epic saga searching for one specific answer.

I might add that I've noticed a couple of occasions where people have posted saying: "what to people think of doing <insert idea here> with the forum?" And it has struck me as not really being their place. A better route if you have an idea would be to pm a mod or better, Steve, and then they can decide.

This place is run and maintained by a few select people, thus it is not a democracy.

The thread in question has contributed about 90% of what I currently know about chainsaw mechanics, which is only around 1% of what I should know!

Like has been mentioned, if it were turned into a sub forum it would lose a lot of what makes it entertaining. I like to tune in a week at a time, catch up on it and treat it like an episode of a series. (My life is very sad).

If people have specific questions the chainsaw maintenance sub forum is already there. Just as long as people don't retort to these questions with "read the what's on your bench today thread" as some people have to eat, sleep and work, and don't have time to sift through Spud's epic saga searching for one specific answer.

I might add that I've noticed a couple of occasions where people have posted saying: "what to people think of doing <insert idea here> with the forum?" And it has struck me as not really being their place. A better route if you have an idea would be to pm a mod or better, Steve, and then they can decide.

This place is run and maintained by a few select people, thus it is not a democracy.

While I know that this is a privately owned forum, it is driven by user content. Without the contribution of the "common" users, there would be no forum.

But why not get the opinions of the forum users, to make it a better place for its users. The decision would, in the end, be made by the owner/admin.

I believe I suggested a simple, non-controversial change, and invited opinions from other users, and feel a little snubbed.

But as requested, I will refrain from suggesting any changes in the future.

Don't refrain on my account buddy! I was just putting across my opinion. I'm just a simple forum member like yourself, and as such all our opinions are equally valid :)

The way I see it though is that nobody likes to play the bad guy, and when a mod has to come to a thread and say "nope" it can put them in that situation. A private suggestion would be more subtle and appropriate in my eyes. That way they can consider the idea, and carry on running this place as they see fit.

Didn't mean to come across as either confrontational, or brown nosing though :P

Don't refrain on my account buddy! I was just putting across my opinion. I'm just a simple forum member like yourself, and as such all our opinions are equally valid :)

The way I see it though is that nobody likes to play the bad guy, and when a mod has to come to a thread and say "nope" it can put them in that situation. A private suggestion would be more subtle and appropriate in my eyes. That way they can consider the idea, and carry on running this place as they see fit.

Didn't mean to come across as either confrontational, or brown nosing though :P

My bad! Sorry :)