Someone not abiding the law

j r hartly

I went through an application for AA approval a long time ago '88 or '89 as I recall.

At that time you had to supply a list of completed, differing works so that they could inspect at the time of the visit. I supplied a comprehensive list.

On the day of the inspection everything went well and in the afternoon the inspectors wanted to look at completed works but didn't want to look at trees on the list. Instead they asked me for other examples which I struggled to think of given the short notice but managed in the end.

One site I took them to was divided into two. I'd done some reduction and thinning work on part of the site and an AA contractor had done work on the other. The standard of the AA contractors work was very poor; slack cable braces, topped trees. The inspectors commented on this but I told them it was the work of a different company. No names or anything implied.

So. I waited for a letter to arrive informing me of their decision which it duly did. Failed due to my lack of experience in the diffent disciplines of arb!

Everything else was absolutely fine.

It stank, reeked of Old Boys and school ties. I didn't fit in and then the local AA contractor, F.arbor had the audacity to offer me a job! I vowed then the AA would never receive a penny from me and they never have.

Of course it may be different now but old scars etc:001_smile:

I am sorry to hear of your previous experience, albeit well before my time, nonetheless painful, but I can assure you the process is very, very different now being more open, transparent and fair...and there is an appeals process if your aggrieved at the outcome but no-one's ever used it whilst I've been managing the scheme.

It's hugely frustrating that, despite my previous postings about many businesses having recently gone through the process successfully, and being very complimentary about it, none post on here...but they do exist, honest! :confused1:

Thanks for your post and sharing your experience.

Paul

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to hear of your previous experience, albeit well before my time, nonetheless painful, but I can assure you the process is very, very different now being more open, transparent and fair...and there is an appeals process if your aggrieved at the outcome but no-one's ever used it whilst I've been managing the scheme.

It's hugely frustrating that, despite my previous postings about many businesses having recently gone through the process successfully, and being very complimentary about it, none post on here...but they do exist, honest! :confused1:

Thanks for your post and sharing your experience.

Paul

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure it is different now. Anything has to be better than the AA of old. If I were twenty years younger I'd probably reapply but as an old dog I'm not sure I want to learn new tricks:001_smile:

Firstly, Paul well done for taking all this on the chin :biggrin:

Secondly, I find it really ironic that people are up in arms over this council representative advising the use of an AA approved company.

Theres been thread after thread on Arbtalk over the years by people wanting change in the industry, standards to be set(such as corgi). This is never going to happen, but the AA are getting closer to that than anyone else has. What they need is adoption...more people to adopt the scheme, this goes from contractors like us to councils and other organisations putting work out there. IMO more companies should sign up to the AA and more councils should do exactly what the counsellor in this article as done, only then will the AA realize its full potential and maybe set those standards that we all feel should be in place to seperate professionals from cowboys.

Firstly, Paul well done for taking all this on the chin :biggrin:

Secondly, I find it really ironic that people are up in arms over this council representative advising the use of an AA approved company.

Theres been thread after thread on Arbtalk over the years by people wanting change in the industry, standards to be set(such as corgi). This is never going to happen, but the AA are getting closer to that than anyone else has. What they need is adoption...more people to adopt the scheme, this goes from contractors like us to councils and other organisations putting work out there. IMO more companies should sign up to the AA and more councils should do exactly what the counsellor in this article as done, only then will the AA realize its full potential and maybe set those standards that we all feel should be in place to seperate professionals from cowboys.

I couldn't agree more. Likewise well done AATechie for taking it all in your stride.

In all honesty, and whilst I acknowledge this has happened in the past, with the ever declining resource on LAs I reckon they'll be focusing their attention on the trees that really justify a TPO and which are deemed to be 'under threat', i.e. where the TPO is expedient.

I've also had instances where tree owners and contractors have been aggrieved with TPO placed in instances like this but there's often no absolute guarantee you, as the competent, knowledgeable and experienced tree surgeon/arborist, will actually undertake the proposed works and so the TPO is deemed to be a mechanism to control standards, in effect.

Sorry, waffling again.

Hope you're well.

Cheers..

Paul

I wouldn't want to explain to a client that his tree is now protected because I thought they were tight for cash and wouldn't look.

I wouldn't want to explain to a client that his tree is now protected because I thought they were tight for cash and wouldn't look.

Sorry, I'm a bit "confused.com" here :confused1:, nothing new, and maybe you've interpreted my reply out of context. I was simply stating a hypothetical possibility in response to your comment about TPOs being placed everywhere (or similar) in that LPAs are going to have to focus their resources to best effect. Further, it would be the LPA who would advise and consult with the tree owner rather than yourself.

Time to go home I think :confused1:

Cheers..

Paul

Sorry, I'm a bit "confused.com" here :confused1:, nothing new, and maybe you've interpreted my reply out of context. I was simply stating a hypothetical possibility in response to your comment about TPOs being placed everywhere (or similar) in that LPAs are going to have to focus their resources to best effect. Further, it would be the LPA who would advise and consult with the tree owner rather than yourself.

Time to go home I think :confused1:

Cheers..

Paul

You do appear to come out on the LA's side here, some regard asking them if a property is subject to protection as an invite to take a peek. Its morally wrong and its not all but it happens.

LAs don't advise and consult if they think you are going to do something they wont like, they just make an order and let you deal with it, regardless if you are owner or agent.

I think steve is right if everyone signed up to aa contractor it would give joe public or even a commercial client a logo and a set standard to look out for when employing a company to do works for them and would eliminate most the sub standard work in the industry I myself was sceptical about the aa contractor scheme myself having contacted Paul the start of this year but I have now just booked my assessment day for 16th jan 2014 and while nervous I think it will be a great achievement for my company and whilst I work to a high standard there is always room for improvement and hopefully the aa will help me as a person and also help improve my company further so why would you not want to be part of it we all want rid of the rogues don't we

I don't often comment on arbtalk threads but I feel I need to stick up for the AA in this one.

If you want to prove you are a good contractor then become a AAAC its the best scheme we have and useful way of checking your complying with all the relevant legislation as well as pruning well.

To Paul's credit he is always available to give advice and to be honest that's worth the fee on its own.

Bottom line for me is when someone out of my area asks for a quote I tell them to look on the AA's website. I know these contractors have been rigorously assessed and our likely to be a good contractors.

If you see a AAAC doing poor or dangerous work then make a compliant to the AA.

The AA are doing a good job and have my backing.

You can't alway compete on price but you can on quality