advice on buying landrover need one soon

d-raittuk

you say lifting it as in the ride height? whats the pros and cons is it not worth it

Don't bother unless you want/need to fit bigger tyres - it isn't as simple as just fitting taller springs. You may need to extend brake hoses, you will alter the camber of the front axle unless you buy new radius arms, you will eat propshaft UJs unless you spend a fortune on new propshafts etc etc. Heavy duty springs (or helper springs inside the rears) are more than adequate and avoid all the headaches associated with a lift IMO.

I have just read this post and was about to offer you my 110 300tdi HiCap for sale - it is rough and ready but will be going shortly as it is currently not being used. It sounds like you bought yours at the right price to be fair. Good luck with it (I hope you like spending your winter evenings underneath it with the spanners out!). You will probably spend a lot of time fixing things over the next 12 months, but will then have a very good understanding of your Landy. They can be as bad as people make out, but there isn't another vehicle on the market that is as versatile, easy to modify, easy to fix, as good off road, and as cheap to run (parts are cheap and depreciation is glacial) than a Tdi or TD5 Land Rover. Once you have owned one you will be smitten (but that isn't necessarily a good thing!).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't bother unless you want/need to fit bigger tyres - it isn't as simple as just fitting taller springs. You may need to extend brake hoses, you will alter the camber of the front axle unless you buy new radius arms, you will eat propshaft UJs unless you spend a fortune on new propshafts etc etc. Heavy duty springs (or helper springs inside the rears) are more than adequate and avoid all the headaches associated with a lift IMO.

I have just read this post and was about to offer you my 110 300tdi HiCap for sale - it is rough and ready but will be going shortly as it is currently not being used. It sounds like you bought yours at the right price to be fair. Good luck with it (I hope you like spending your winter evenings underneath it with the spanners out!). You will probably spend a lot of time fixing things over the next 12 months, but will then have a very good understanding of your Landy. They can be as bad as people make out, but there isn't another vehicle on the market that is as versatile, easy to modify, easy to fix, as good off road, and as cheap to run (parts are cheap and depreciation is glacial) than a Tdi or TD5 Land Rover. Once you have owned one you will be smitten (but that isn't necessarily a good thing!).

How much are you after for your 110?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

haha the misses has all ready give me a heads up as i work to much anyway any work will be done by someone who knows what there doing so i will be there to hold the spanners make the tea and learn how its done >< hands in pockets lol

I think that pulling 3.5t on a 110 landi is illegal, why? If I remember rightly you can only pull up to 90% of vehicles weight IE if your landi weighs 2 tonnes, 90% is 1.8 tonnes is the max you should be towing, what the plated weight says is not the law of the land, only what its capable of. Be carful VOSA guys don’t have a sense of humour.

No completely wrong. Thats a rule made up by sad caravanners. The defenders tow 3500kg legally with overrun brakes. Vosa guys do have a sense of humur you see them rolling around on the floor when ever they see a transit double cab coming down the road.

• 2 weeks later...