Cheap housing

Graham

And all credit to him. However, the crux of the issue is that that is now the exception rather than the norm.

15 years ago Mr and Mrs Average bought their first house together in their twenties. Now this is much rarer.

If your nephew is doing well, nobody is slating him. But think how much better he would have done in the housing stakes had he been born 15 years earlier.

i dont think he would of able to afford to build his own house? wages were much lower (half of what he gets paid now)

many i left school with still have not bought a house now

housing costs used to be more % of wages than now?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My mum said that her and my old man bought a house in london in the mid eighties because it was cheaper than renting!!

Here is a graph representing the average house price rise from the mid seventies

09-03-11-MM2.jpg

What the hell happened in 1997??? It went from averages of £50k upto £175k in ten bloody years!! That is criminal. My generation haven't got a hope!

and look at this, 1998-2010 mortgages vs av wages

6a00d8341c565553ef0120a8d3196e970b-500wi

i dont think he would of able to afford to build his own house? wages were much lower (half of what he gets paid now)

No they weren't. That was the whole point of the graph I posted...

Alex has posted a more detailed one since, which puts the whole situation in stark relief.

Couldn't agree more.

The only choice most people have is either rent forever (massive waste of money) or get stuck with a lifelong mortgage on a shite 2 bed new build with a postage stamp garden (again, massive waste of money). This is one of the worst things about over population.

The home in the original post is beautiful, sustainable, will last a long, long time and is a fraction of the cost of a new build estate house. Realistically a cob house will cost around £10k -£15k, which is still great, but the planning laws in this country are just awful so it's not as simple as buying a bit of nice land/woodland for £20k then building a £10k home. It's as if the government want us all to get in debt to the tune of £150k and make the banks and corporations loads of money :001_rolleyes:

Hi,

Thats exactly their objective, yes it makes the banks loads of money, but it also returns a huge amount in tax as people have to slave to service the mortgage repayments.

Great house BTW.

N

Massive ranting and venting ahead.......

Hey, lets run this crap economy on the back of a housing bubble! Worked once (for some) so lets chance our arm and try the same con trick again. Frankly, I find the smugness of those who are able to afford property to be quite appalling. All of my 3 children work extremely hard yet none of them have a rat's chance in Cambridge and with no social housing (which I live in) and a completely skewed market economy, the whole issue of housing, allied with energy issues, will, I fervently hope, hasten some radical political thinking instead of the disgustingly exclusive neo-liberal bollocks which is presently undermining a whole generation. On you go, Alex (we have a live-in vehicle too and now I am being hammered by the bedroom tax) and yep, it is going in my woodland.....where, one way or another, I will be making every effort to provide some security for my children and grandchildren regardless of nimbies (who often erroneously imagine they will never be in the position of being homeless themselves) and the pathetic little Westminster enclave of the priveledged. And you can absolutely guarantee any building I undertake will not be remotely like the tragic 'boutique apartments' and 'student accommodation infesting Cambridge for a bargain £200,000 (for a BEDSIT!)

Loving the rant mate. Ah yes, the bedroom tax. The tories are full of good ideas like that. So, will buckingham palace be hit by that? It's the country's biggest council house after all. ;)

Oh and under this government squatting has been made an illegal offence, rather than a civil matter like it was before. and Police under the tories have recently been confiscating possessions of homeless people (ie sleeping bags etc).

Something has to change. Trouble is the majority of people are far too comfortable in their bubble to be bothered to kick up a fuss.

I predict a massive **** storm over the next couple of decades and fear for the next generation and my yet to be conceived children :D

Sorry, massive derail. Just look how bloody lovely the cob house is! :)

more here.... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cob+houses&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3XabUpbNBYPKhAexsID4Cw&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1517&bih=713&dpr=0.9