Moisture meter accuracy.

Mark Bolam

The Stihl one is pants, but the more expensive model I bought still fluctuates a lot depending on how hard/deep I insert the prongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

you've hit the nail on the head there regarding the problem with meters, it all depends on the sample area. looks like i've found another job for myself - finding the best way to use a moisture meter for the most accurate results.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please let me know your findings Luke.

Mine seems consistent, and certainly differentiates very well between obviously green and bone dry logs, but I'm dubious about the figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Mark. As you say the Stihl is fine.

Compared it to one costing £300 and no difference to worry about.

Tested some Chestnut Roundwood 12 months ago 60% now 50%.

I dont think I will waste money on anything else. Be sure to push prongs well in, but don't go mad.

I also have a Stihl meter, firstly I would agree with earlier comments regarding batteries, when mine are low the meter reads 7% in fresh air!

Secondly, taking readings from end grain can mislead. If the end grains are getting plenty of airflow and Sun, the readings can drop pretty quickly but checking the mid section of a split log will give a truer picture. I use mine as a guide but also do the following:

feel the weight,

clacking 2 against each other to see if you get a crisp crack and not a dull thud

Seeing the checks open out on the end grain and the bark lifting are all good pointers to seasoned logs

As far as how much pressure to use, I just get the probes in a mil or so, any more on wood like beech risks breaking the meter

Use a 20 year old Protimeter. Never had cause to question its accuracy and consistency but recently checked it with it's calibration device. Still spot on. I was always taught to check moisture content on the end grain and for logs this means cutting in half first. If taking a reading on the side of a log think you need the pins to go across the grain and not with it.

i have 2 so i can compare etc but as time goes by experiance will take the place of the meter & dont want that to come across as a brag but you,ll know when the woods dry enough cracks weight time etc etc i think sometimes this wood malarky gets very confusing you will know if or when its ready by its looks and cracks on the ends etc i was also told once you can tell by sound too by clonking two pieces together also never tried that one though

Remember when your kids had wooden bricks with the alphabet on them ?, remember when you stacked them away they made a distinct CLACK when you touched them together, thats what you are listening for.

If you get a dull thud then its to wet.

A