Cord auction price.

timberbear

Its hardly a surprise when standing timber has been north of £25 a ton at times . You guys with processors will just have to grin and bare it or go old school again. We sell all our log wood for around £25 a ton delivered within a 20 mile radius of Guildford but none or only a small proportion of it would go through a processor.

Bob

25 quid ??? !!!

1000 tonnes of standing went for £41 a tonne yesterday. Astonishing

Oh man, :scared1::scared1::scared1:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the time is fast approaching where if you're buying-in roundwood/cordwood to process for firewood then you're either doing it for pocket money/fun or going out of business.

I think you need to be using arisings or own your own woodland.

Either that or firewood prices need hiking up to match.

It's ok to say use your arisings but they are getting less and less, people think the timber, however crap is worth loads. I had a lady get me to look at a big sycamore in a field boundary, wanted it felling and all removing for free!! 2 days 3 men, then it would need to be made into logs, not worth it at all as the logs might just cover the cost.

Its not all one sided , we do a lot of machine work along side the harvesting guys. We often have to build tracks and hard standings some of which have in excess of 2000 tons of hardcore/scalps . We then have the rake and burn or mulching to do, then all the public footpaths,tracks,bridle paths and fences need reinstatement's. Add in the harvesters , replanting,forest management costs ,returns for the woodlands owners and you can begin to see where your money is going.

Bob

That's crazy!! Its gonna be 70 quid at roadside! £80 delivered in! That's stupid.

If you dial in haulage to my post you can see why its so expensive delivered in. Woodland managers need to show a return to the land owners and justify their programs which will include replanting with all the associated works. No one is having it off ,its just all expensive work.

Bob

I sent in a bid at yesterday's Hardwood auction held in Cirencester. I was bidding on 100t of FC beech in the forest of dean, which is to be felled and taken to road roadside. After calculating the cost of haulage I arrived at a fair sum of £42.50 per ton. The hammer went down on a whopping £52.50 per ton. I can only surmise that a local timber merchant bought it.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I was at the auction and bid on that very same lot and some others, the beech that your talking about I looked at before the auction, its all big stuff and cut to very random lengths, its all going to be saw and splitter work and for it to make the money it did is just madness, ok if we are all paying the same sort of money for cord then that's fine, the bit that worries me is that the end customer is going to be looking at paying £120 a cube I recon, and i believe that a lot just cant afford that.

I was at the auction and bid on that very same lot and some others, the beech that your talking about I looked at before the auction, its all big stuff and cut to very random lengths, its all going to be saw and splitter work and for it to make the money it did is just madness, ok if we are all paying the same sort of money for cord then that's fine, the bit that worries me is that the end customer is going to be looking at paying £120 a cube I recon, and i believe that a lot just cant afford that.

I nipped up at the beginning of the week and the timber was still at stump, also found out there was going to be 10% sweet chestnut in it. I don't mind the larger stuff, I'd just ring it up and leave it for several months. Do you know who bought it, wondering if Woodgate sawmills bought it, they seem to buying everything else. I just refuse to be a busy fool!

interestering thread , I sell my by-products of tree work for £80 m3 cube, and have sold out a month ago, the costs are about £40m3 and when its gone its gone, I turn loads of customers away and say come back earlier next yr,,,and they do,,,,this yr I sold 200m3 and if I had 500m3 I`d sell that, but at the price of cord wood around here,and not having a large sum of capital to tie up in a processor and tractor, then I cant make buying it in pay,,,,people do there sums and arnt stupid, its actually cheaper to run off gas,,,,,more and more of my tree surgery customers are keeping there wood,,,!