Firewood Processor for logs and rounds.

Chalgravesteve

Dear All.

I am considering developing a firewood processing side to my business. I already have space and staff, and our quiet period for the existing business is the winter months where the demand for firewood is high.

I have a significant logpile already, which is resupplied daily by local tree surgeons who we allow free disposal of their woodchip and logs. The logs and rounds are therefore all of a size that are manhandled.

I have been looking at processors but all of the demo videos show them handling 4ft+ nice and straight cordwood. Looks very efficient and easy, but I need to process less straight logs and rounds.

I have a 50hp tractor available for pto drive, or it could go off 3 phase electric. It may be that there is not a single machine that can handle this as we will have to look at a vertical splitter to reduce the rounds as well as a horizontal one for the longer logs.

I have been looking at Dalen and Hakki but I would welcome some independent views from people who use the things, instead of someone who just wants to sell me one!!

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Yep pleased with my Farmi but would also consider Dalen if our little tractor could have lifted it.

I am processing hedgerow wood at the moment which is a long way from straight. It goes through it but some faster than others. The problem with twisted uneven lengths is they need holding at an angle so the saw can cut them. They are also less likely to fall and sit neatly in the splitting chamber but with the Farmi due to lack of guarding any adjustments to the log are quick to do. I prefer the in feed mechanism on the Dalen as there are less places for a piece to get caught. I may have made processors sound like hassle with less than straight wood but I also have decent splitter and saws but would always use the processor if the wood will fit. The time just the conveyor saves is not to be under estimated. I am going back out now to cut some more so will try to take a few pictures to explain better what I have tried to convey.

Beau

So some pictures of our little Farmi in action warts and all.

1. First some of the wood I am processing.

2. A typical awkward log that will not sit nicely.

3. Cutting up to 36cm.

4. The excellent splitter that can take bigger than 36cm.

5. A slight mod that enables you to use the splitter without walking around to the main controls. I should ass that Farmi can supply a proper modification for this but I forgot to order it.

6 and 7. And the also excellent log lifter attachment in action which has lifted anything I can get on it.

I can't tell you it is fast through wood like this as only did about 7m3 today but that is working on my own and being fussy about the log size. When you do have nice straight wood you can do 2-3 times as much per hour.

DSC01714.jpg.ed413dd9938dde214c6b3e99543cbf8b.jpg

DSC01713.jpg.bb155fce6483e0ea3aa659e7f7ab667d.jpg

DSC01703.jpg.ddad0be9f9abf17a3675d6de89ea795d.jpg

DSC01716.jpg.c6d9d1732cac0a31536aac1869af16ca.jpg

DSC01701.jpg.395b0552d0e82fc6e22e8857baef82a2.jpg

DSC01697.jpg.0aea38f1d17e45651e09f8065213b019.jpg

DSC01694.jpg.ba776950195580a27d6379f8f4d9c3f4.jpg

this is my setup. Japa processor running on an avant. Then i made up some brackets to accept the conveyor from the shredder so the logs can load into tonne bags. Need to somehow get the conveyor to run off the avant hydraulics rather than the tractor

cuttersplitter_zpsff4d5ac3.mp4 Video by dig-dug-dan | Photobucket