Chain sharpening

Sciadopitys

I have always sharpened ALL chains by hand, but recently i seem to be sharpening the bloody 066 3 or 4 times everytime i use it as some moron seems to enjoy hammering nails into trees :thumbdown:

The sharpening is adding loads of times to jobs, mainly on removing large trunks when hitting nails is a regular occurance.

I am thinking about buying a machine to sharpen chains, some people i know use em all the time and love em, others will not touch em. Opinions please fellas!

I would love to get my hands on a 12V sharpener that bolts to the bar and sharpens like a bench grinder giving even cutters throughout the chain, i'm fed up of cutting stumps in banana shapes, cos some moron before me didn't sharpen the chain properly! Anyone have any experience with these or know where i can find one? Is 12V one got the balls to sharpen chains properly or should i be thinking of a 110 or 240V instead.

Cheers!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like machine sharpened chains, as you can get them sharper by hand with a file.

Grinding chains also heats up the cutters and makes them bad to sharpen with a file afterwards.

If I was you Ed, and had to share a large saw with other less competent sharpeners, I would have your own personal chain. Put it on when you use it and take it off when you've finished.

If the others can't be arsed to learn how to sharpen properly then they deserve to struggle.

However, if you have a lot of heavily contaminated timber to cut, then a grinder may be the better option for keeping the job going.

i bought a 240v sharpener from machine mart...£120.......

saves loads of time and elbow grease.. but beware the machines have to be set up accordingly other wise you will take to much off...

plus its always best to have a few spare chains when you go to a job

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I have the oregon bench sharpener, just have a few of the same chain, and change when blunt, then sharpen when you get home..

I also had a little hand metal detector for locating and marking metalwork in timber, but it packed in, I've been looking for another but all there is about is those security wands, but imo they wont detect deep enough.

A cheap metal detector could save hours of labour time and sharpening fees over the year

suffer the same problem with the trees we do for farmers.....stihl do hardened chains but they are only for rescue services......im trying to get one through a fireman i know. The sharpeners to work well, but the down side is i find that they heat the cutting edge up which affects the metal and doing it by hand you get a better edge with out the problems. but for speed and getting the job done they work well. we bolt the sharper onto are landy and then plug it in which works great....

best of luck

Also, i have heard rumors of chains with special teeth that are resistant to stones and nails. Are these diamond tipped or just super-hardened? And i presume you would need special files to sharpen these?

Tungsten carbide chains, wouldnt bother tbh no good for metal anyway mainly for soiled timber.

I just carry plenty of spare chains and swap em over if in a rush or have hit something really bad.

The bench grinders are good but you do have to learn how to set them up properly.

Stick to a file mate- you buy a bench grinder and its a whole new world of hassle, as mentioned above. Carry spare chains with you and sharpen at leisure- and make it clear to farmer palmer that you arent prepared to cut a tree down to below 4' if it has ever been anywhere a fence line, or they can pay a surcharge, just as in sawmilling. They want to try and save £1.50 and 5 minutes work by using a tree as a fence post then they have to cough up later. Simple as. IMO.