Advice for starting apprentice tree surgeon

tjrust

Hi mate,

Im still a newbe as such been doin it for 2 years and in my last 2 weeks of 10 week training at college. CAnt wait to finish. The only bit of advice i can give is take everything on the chin that is thrown at you. And listen to everything that the people you are working with say as it is a dangerous job mate and mistakes can be fatel. Apart from that if you love the outdoors and dont mind the rain, snow and cold days then you will love it. You will never stop learning and its a free gym membership. Good luck mate your gonna love it.

dont say to the boss "yeah i know" when you dont. we always prefer our lads to say if they dont fully understand what to do as mistakes and thinking you know it all are dangerous

other than that pay attention at all times listen and dont go on your mobile

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

I second that, take a bag with you. Inside you'll want spare clothes, lunch and hot and cold drinks.

As silly as it may seem a pack of biccys to share around at tea time will go down well and help break the ice.

Leave you phone in the bag when you're working.

+2 to all thats been posted and learn from those you work with. and ask do not go in and dig a hole you can not get out of as for college learn and get your papers but learning on the job is worth triple what they will teach you at college. work hard ,never late leave phone in bag. and will not go far wrong.

good luck trust you have years of enjoyment and learning. what more can you ask outdoors all the time keeping fit. and a good tan even in winter saves going abroad for a top up:thumbup:

Hi all,

I start a new job as an apprentice tree surgeon next week and am really looking forward to it! Do you have any advice on what I should be looking out for and past experiences of newbies starting out? Cheers

Helpful (ish) pointers:

Don't ever touch the chain when a saw is running, even if the brake is on, it might not work and a spring could snap!

Never stand directly behind a chipper!

Don't check your phone unless you're on a break or that WILL end up in the chipper!

Always check the oil and fuel in a saw, even if you're not using it, nothing worse than being handed an empty saw!

If a branch fork is stuck in the chipper feed, reverse the rollers and cut the fork, don't do it near the rollers!

Always double check the kit at the end of the day, if you forget something you'll get a bollocking!

If a pedestrian comes near the drop zone, go over and stop them, they ALWAYS try to walk through!

Visor is always DOWN unless you're on a break, or you will get hit in the face with chip, brash or saw dust, no matter how safe you think you are!

Always listen to the boss and do what he says (unless it's running from the chipper :lol: )

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

dont say to the boss "yeah i know" when you dont. we always prefer our lads to say if they dont fully understand what to do as mistakes and thinking you know it all are dangerous

So true. Maybe leave the mobile at home!

Yup mobiles getting to be a 'biggy' these days:

Leave it in the van (out of sight)

Be respectful of your bosses equipment (he was like you once and has grafted to buy it all so you can have a job...look after it and it'll look after you..)

Be keen...even on the crap jobs even if no one else is...bottom rung stuff is your department..do it with a smile :)

Keep in mind there's a huge difference between fast and efficient and plain hashy...that will earn you a dressing down although you may feel like your horsing through the work..

If you ever want to skive when the boss is away: work faster and make sure your work is 110% then do it while waiting for his return...if the work is endless, keep working no one likes a skiver..

Once your a wee bit more experienced: look at the company procedures and analysis them, if you occasionally come up with a way to make things more efficient discuss it with your boss: none of us are perfect and can all miss things from time to time...this will help him and in turn help you..

These are my gems of knowledge good luck and stick in :)

If not sure what too do and knowone tells you pick up a rake and start tidying. Turn up early.

Never tell the boss you know some one who has better gear than him.

When the day is finished and you get back to the yard ask if saws need sorting or help needed sorting stuff for next day.

Do not turn up looking rough talking about last night's beer as you may get sent home!