Advice for starting apprentice tree surgeon

tjrust

Turn up 5mins early be happy respectfull don't spit or swear all the time don't be a lick ass keep your phone in your pocket it's for emergencys not checking every social networking sight every two mins. Work hard and listen to what your told treat the gear like it's your own. Most of all don't think you no it all one you got a few tickets I know blokes that have been in this game 25 years and are still learning. Ohhhh injoy yourself

Turn up 5mins early be happy respectfull don't spit or swear all the time don't be a lick ass keep your phone in your pocket it's for emergencys not checking every social networking sight every two mins. Work hard and listen to what your told treat the gear like it's your own. Most of all don't think you no it all one you got a few tickets I know blokes that have been in this game 25 years and are still learning. Ohhhh injoy yourself

VERY GOOD ADVICE :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The most dangerous thing in Arb work is an ego. After people finish a College course, whether it's a 10wk or 2yr, they usually think they are tree surgeons.

They are not!

They are people with certificates.

Assume that it will take you three years to get off the bottom rung of the ladder in terms of being commercially safe and viable to your employer.

Most of all, keep your eyes and ears open.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Making little suggestion helps, I've only been at it a year yet have suggested quite a bit to some company's I sub to that have stuck and make life a lot easier, just things like folding the top of a tonne bag over so you can load it easier on clean up, it's amazing how many people don't do it. It baffles me why they don't.

Keep your head about you and don't get too cocky so to speak, no one likes a clever clogs haha and listen to what you are told and take it all on board. As for the touchy subject of a phone. When I sub out I often find my self too far away from the truck for it to be an option to leave it in the truck so it stays with me all the time incase of emergencies, make your own judgement on that one but whatever you do, don't get tempted to use it just cause you have it, think of it as a first aid kit, only use it in an emergency.

Finally...knuckle down, work hard, be safe and above all, enjoy yourself!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• 2 weeks later...

Turn up on time, don't be afraid to ask questions if unsure, be polite to customers however rude or annoying they can be, don't shy away from hard tasks as that's how you improve, take pride in your work and try and enjoy your job cause us young lads have to do it till we are 70 hahaha!

Turn up early is always a big thing and ask about the job before you get there so you will no what tools to get ready always try and be one step ahead with getting things ready and never stand still like a tea pot always try and be doing something whether its raking or getting the saws filled up and ready, to making sure that the chip is kept pushed up to the back of the motor. You can nether ask too many questions (why, when and how) always be happy as no- one likes a grump. Im always asking questions that way im building my knowledge up all the time. When i started the first thing I bought was an Tree ID book. hope all these brilliant coments help as they have giving me advice aswell. good luck mate your gonna love it.