Home made log splitter

thetoolnut

I'm thinking about putting together my own home made log splitter? Has anyone out there built one? i've seen some great ones on youtube. I'm thinking of a 30 tonne ram with an RSJ as a bed welded to an old trailer chasis. I'd like to run it with a desiel engine and have a metal gridded plate instead of a knife for the actual splitting. Could i built it for 500 Euro or less? Any advice or tips are most welcome. Thanks.

I'm thinking about putting together my own home made log splitter? Has anyone out there built one? i've seen some great ones on youtube. I'm thinking of a 30 tonne ram with an RSJ as a bed welded to an old trailer chasis. I'd like to run it with a desiel engine and have a metal gridded plate instead of a knife for the actual splitting. Could i built it for 500 Euro or less? Any advice or tips are most welcome. Thanks.

You can build it to a budget or you can build it to a standard.

gridded plate as in like pushing a spud through to make chips ? . As far as i know you will have to have very good wood no knotty stuff because at 30 ton something has to give if you doing arb waste stick with a knife and make a decent 4 way splitter to fit over the knife for any decent stuff. As for the engine if you go big then big fuel go small and use a 2 stage hydraulic pump if you going to make it on a road towable trailer as it will be a pain to push around if its over engineered big donkey engine big ram (big weight) etc unless you have a tractor to make use of the hydraulics

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7ue0twkoo]HOMEMADE HIGH OUTPUT LOG SPLITTER - YouTube[/ame]

why not have two rsjs and two rams.

gridded plate or series of cutting knifes need high tonnages to work, 30 tons is good for pine but more tonnage for hardwood especially if they are seasoned

I would probably evaluate things first. We made one as we had alot of the components already. Bearing in mind you will perhaps have adjustments and teething problems.

1. How much of your time will it take to get a functioning machine? Its suprising!!

2. What will it cost in components?

3. If you multiply your time by an your hourly rate and then add on the costs of things needed. If this is greater than what you can buy one for, I would buy as a professionally made one will have the appropriate safety features built in.

Have a look at this thread

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/50435-show-us-your-log-splitters.html

mine, if i was to have uniform nice small size timber id buy one... if your in ireland donedeal yourself one, unless you need something you cant buy reasonably.... the H iron on my splitter is an inch thick and regularly flexes with beech. estimated at least 50t

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODczC-0HmR0]big homemade log splitter Ireland splitting 3x4x1 foot beech ring - YouTube[/ame]