bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

If you only have a faceplate to screw the blank to, the best way to turn a bowl is to shape the outside and leave a spigot the depth of the screws plus 5mm that hold it to the faceplate then part it off and sand it by hand, this is after you have formed the inside of the bowl.

Make sure you use good screws though as you dont want them to shear off whilst turning.

If its your first time turning I think you would be better off to try a smaller piece first, a 15 - 16 inch blank can cause a lot of pain and damage if it flies of at speed.It would also be wise to hold the blank with the tailstock pushed up to give it more support.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Who else uses the supernova 2 chuck?

Ive noticed if i get dig in from going to hard in and maybe to fast enough that it just spins?

I started with a 6mm and wouldnt fit. 8mm but span. And bought a 7mm yesterday felt a tighter fit but still span a big ?

Cheers

I have recently finished a few pieces using the same wood / finish .... a hollow form with a matching bowl , not sure why really !! Ash that has been coloured and scorched , and Ash that is nicely spalted .... The hollow vessels are about 12" tall and the scorched / coloured bowl 17" dia and 5" deep and the spalted bowl about 12" dia and 5" deep ....all of this was from an Arb waste / firewood pile ...Terry

59766c9c352b1_turnings023.jpg.6431965314e7dbca42eada187ae831d8.jpg

59766c9c339af_turnings028.jpg.2ec1f78b0a902b05c60c3573188f9b96.jpg

59766c9c32539_turnings034.jpg.dc5173052badab4b68ea00de99847563.jpg

59766c9c30a98_turnings013.jpg.307c6717c4d0090930f382b7182f69be.jpg

Just a quick one.

I picked up a cheap lathe to try some wood turning a while back. It has a face plate but no chuck grabby thing like I've seen on here. (only a basic machine mart number)

I figure that I screw the blank to the plate to do the base of the bowl first.

How do I fasten it to the face plate again to turn the inside without leaving screw holes in the base? Glue?

I have large blanks in case that matters. (around 15-16")

Any advice would be great. Have a day without wife and son tomorrow so want to have a go. (lathe has been sat in shed since son was born lol)

When making bowls I glue a round base plate of 18mm MDF to the bottom and then screw the faceplate to this. Make sure both surfaces are completely flat and grease free for a good glue joint. When done just cut of MDF with a saw close to the base and finish off with a plane.

Who else uses the supernova 2 chuck?

Ive noticed if i get dig in from going to hard in and maybe to fast enough that it just spins?

I started with a 6mm and wouldnt fit. 8mm but span. And bought a 7mm yesterday felt a tighter fit but still span a big ?

Cheers

perhaps i misunderstood you?

to what are you referring to with the sizes?