Build it in Great Britain!

TimberCutterDartmoor

We typically generalise too much on threads like this.

I also have an intense dislike of a lot of the kit coming out of China. They can, and do produce utter rubbish, but it is not all their fault. It is the fault of the Western buyers who only want to buy the cheapest stuff to sell to their fellow countrymen. The chinese merely supply what they have been asked for.

If the buyer specifies a higher quality (and pays a higher price) he will get a much better product (Mitox for instance)

If Western companies set up their own facilities in China, with their own management and quality control, they can produce equipment just as good as other countries, but at less cost.

Most of us (including myself) do not appreciate the scale and diversity in China.

I believe this is quite true. Folk buy carp and then complain. The biggest trouble is that most have no idea that what they are buying is rubbish until it is broken! There's no awareness of bad products until too late.

I've watched this company quietly turn into a leader in the 'outdoor pursuit' industry; Sleeping bags, down jackets, tents and camping equipment with free UK delivery from Alpkit

With determination and careful management they manufacture and ship quality goods from China into the UK using ethical transport wherever possible.

I'm sure there are many on this forum with an Alpkit item in their backpack.

No I'm not a shareholder just a fan:001_tongue:

codlasher

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Western companies set up their own facilities in China, with their own management and quality control, they can produce equipment just as good as other countries, but at less cost.

Firms such as Husqvarna are doing this to prevent the counterfeit stuff getting on the market and it does seem to be working. Also Land Rover have signed an statement of understanding to build models out there to supply the demand.

What have the chinese factories that are owned and managed by chinese produced that is any good.

Probably very little Steve, but these days they account for only part of chinese production, so my point is that we should not generalise.

Just because it says PRC on the box does not mean that its rubbish.

Haven't read the whole thread but noticed a bit about Japanese manufacturing etc.

Remember people, if we don't buy Japanese (and German) cars and keep them busy producing they'll both want to invade other countries. So it's important we keep buying their cars etc otherwise world war 3 will probably break out.

That was the deal after WW2, the Allies said to Germany and Japan, 'we'll set up a manufacturing base for you and allow you to make cars and other stuff and you guys don't get any ideas about invading other countries ok?' to which the Germans and the Japanese replied, 'ok, deal' and that's the way it's been ever since.

The Chinese on the other hand (historically speaking) don't typically invade other countries unlike the Japanese who committed some of the worst atrocities in WW2 against the Chinese

this for example

Unit 731 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once referred to by an industrialist twenty years ago as the yellow peril, wise words from a man that warned of this and now its here. The Chinese have massive resources behind them which are being ploughed into their manufacturing industry, the sweat shops of yesteryear are fast being replaced with massive modern automated plant. The cheap and nasty image of the goods is also rapidly changing, the speed at which they modify/improve their products is astounding. The outcome of all of this is beyond me but one thing is for sure it will destroy the economies of the western world.

Bob

Quick thoughts on Korean cars, after the Korean war, the South Korean's allies - the USA said to South Korea, 'if you guys make cars will this stop you fighting against the North?' to which the South Koreans repiied, 'yes', to which the USA replied, ok, leave it with us'

A few decades past as the USA was distracted by the cold war with the Soviets......

Then after the Berlin wall fell, the Koreans funded by US investment produced some of the most advanced car factories in the world, even ahead of both the Japanese and German plants.

This is now why Kia and Hyundai are so successful.

History lesson over :biggrin:

This may be so, but production from any such factory will have 'made in PRC' on the box, so will be included, by misinformed, narrow minded people, in the generalisation of 'chinese tat'

Well actually I was meaning this the other way, I don't think it's a true reflection on where China really is as it gives a false impression of improving quality.

Leave out the factories either taken over or built by established non-Chinese companies and there's little sign of any improvement in the last 7 or 8 years.

As for China traditionally minding their own business, you might want to do some reading up on the current Chinese aircraft carrier project and wonder if they might not be thinking about doing things a bit differently in future.

Just to clarify as well, I'm not in the slightest anti-Chinese, in fact I think their system of government is vastly superior to ours in many ways.