Facts required...

Ty Korrigan

I did the chain thing years ago, man what a boring task, and I wasn't very good at it, a few broke or they were to stiff at the rivet.

I ended up missing going to the saw shop for a chat and a nosey about.

A chain on a top handle will last me a year, 026's 6 months and maybe a few for the 46 so not worth the hassle for me.

Would that be 'Thomas Covenant the Aspen Unbeliever'?

Sorry about that; but how many times is one going to get the chance to mix the works of Stephen Donaldson with Aspen? Grab the weird beast by the horns while you can.

If the majority of your saws & processor use the same chain and your cash flow will allow, then making your own makes sense. As it doesn't then wholly depend on the number of links needed per loop. If however, you can foo a bulk deal on the required for say 6mths. then that might be the way to go.

As to using 'A' - you have the personal & saw health benefits. And, you could always factor in the costs when quoting. Maybe even including a blurb about why you're using 'A' in the quote.

Edited by TGB

May aswell buy a roll and make them then!!

A roll will not provide chains for my 540t, 550, 461, 66 and 88.

I just buy 4 for the 540, 2 for the 550, 2 for 461, 1 for the 66 and 1 for the 88, or what ever combination of 10 chains keeps my stock levels where I need them :001_smile:

Hello,

Could I ask you guys a few things.

First one is a bit subjective.

1. Over the course of a year, how much would using Aspen and Veg oil over regular mineral stuff be worth?

Aside from the extra cost to a business (negative point) how can I justify the value of using these products against the value of long and short term health?

Also the positive value of using it machines.

Help me in my argument please, I'm trying to persuade an unbeliever.

2. How much saving is there in making up your own chains taking into account the tools required to do so?

I intend to print off a few (if any) comments keeping them anonymous to present at a meeting.

Thanks in advance

Ty

Hi Ty

See"One reason I use Aspen" thread or email me [email protected] and I can send you loads of facts and information.

Kind regards

Eddie

Also don't forget that if you work from a location which allows you to buy Aspen in bulk then you will be able to get free delivery to your workplace and a discount from rrp when buying 54 cans of Aspen or more at a time.

This may help when it comes to working out the costs as you will probably save time and money by not having to stop at the fuel station constantly to fill up cans of fuel.

Time spent mixing regular fuel with oil and potentially encountering fuel related issues should also be considered. As should the boost in efficiency from staff who aren't having to breath in toxic emissions.

Obviously the latter is harder to weigh up and can only be decided by you after testing using Aspen. Most people don't think they notice the emissions from pump fuel until they have been using Aspen for some time and are forced to use a machine running on pump fuel again...

Another point to consider which pushed me into using aspen in my newer huskvarna saws is the warranty side of things as I had a saw nip on normal fuel which the computer knows how much ethanol was in it so would not have been covered had the saw not also been overreving. If I'd have been running on aspen no arguments about fuel quality so has to be covered under warranty.

As said about chains, far better to get bulk orders of made up loops with a decent dealer discount than mess about making up your own and miss counting drive links so having too short/long loops when you need it in a rush. :banghead:

Hello,

Could I ask you guys a few things.

First one is a bit subjective.

1. Over the course of a year, how much would using Aspen and Veg oil over regular mineral stuff be worth?

Aside from the extra cost to a business (negative point) how can I justify the value of using these products against the value of long and short term health?

Also the positive value of using it machines.

Help me in my argument please, I'm trying to persuade an unbeliever.

2. How much saving is there in making up your own chains taking into account the tools required to do so?

I intend to print off a few (if any) comments keeping them anonymous to present at a meeting.

Thanks in advance

Ty

I swapped back from aspen to 2stroke for a 4week period where I was doing a lot of work one the tools, I saved £148. I don't know on oil as I wont swap from bio due to risk of emulsifying the oil in the pump. I have been a devotee of aspen for the last 8year ish, however due to the attitude from the guys on the aspen stand at the confor show, and the stupidly high price I doubt I will go back to using it now. To put this in context its a new 550xp every three months in terms of savings!!!

The chains you need to be using a lot, if you can pick up cheap rolls of Oregon on ebay its not to bad, I bought a 25ft loop of chain for my 346 and the tools for £100 so its not bad, if you buy it at list price you need to be going through some to make it worthwhile.

Edited by Charlieh

I swapped back from aspen to 2stroke for a 4week period where I was doing a lot of work one the tools, I saved £148. I don't know on oil as I wont swap from bio due to risk of emulsifying the oil in the pump. I have been a devotee of aspen for the last 8year ish, however due to the attitude from the guys on the aspen stand at the confor show, and the stupidly high price I doubt I will go back to using it now. To put this in context its a new 550xp every three months in terms of savings!!!

The chains you need to be using a lot, if you can pick up cheap rolls of Oregon on ebay its not to bad, I bought a 25ft loop of chain for my 346 and the tools for £100 so its not bad, if you buy it at list price you need to be going through some to make it worthwhile.

Hi Charlie,

Aspen has not increased at the same rate as pump fuel but due to it's nature it will always cost more than mass produced pump fuels.

I am sorry you feel this way and please let me know how we upset you.

Kind regards

Eddie