Quoting work for friends (or friends of friends)

Hollands

Just priced a job for a friend of a friend. Was a pepper tree to remove, had to be dragged up a slope then up 3 flights of stairs. Was'nt the biggest tree, but all the wood had to go aswell, plus some other smaller jobs. Any gave her a price (day and a half) and i think she was a bit suprised at how much it was going to cost.

Anyway she got other people to have a look and someones given her a better price, ordinarily i would say "thats cool was a crappy job anyway", but as its a friend of a friend, i feel like they might think I was trying to rip them off. I always feel awkward in these situations and was wondering how other guys deal with it. I cant work for nothing just because i know them.:confused1:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, can be a problem; I've had it a few times as all work comes via word of mouth.

Be polite, don't give an impression of being miffed by being undercut but explain in detail what is involved and hence why the job would take so long. When your competition turns up the client already knows what's involved so will be switched on enough to question or doubt claims that the work can be done in half the time you say. Likelihood is that the competition will then either make unrealistic claims as to his own ability or won't have an answer at all.

If you can avoid it don't get into a bidding war; you'll look cheap and that has long-term repercussions.

For every one of these you'll have ten successes so don't lose sleep over it. Good luck.

If they are friends, they should already understand the nature of the work you do from speaking to you in the past. i have friends who are mechanics, builders chippies, and so on, we all know how much things cost to do, and dont quibble over prices. How far down the friends line this works is difficult to say, friend of a friends, then the friends friends friend? A fair price for a fair days work isnt much to ask, or they aint no friend!

its easy to quote for a friend but as for friends of friends don't worry about it! did similar around two weeks ago brother in laws brother in law wanted 3 conifers taken down. I gave him a realistic price for a days work and removing all the arisings and told him the discount i was giving him. He thought it was cheaper to damage his garden and waste 3 days of his life carting the stuff away on a tiny trailer:001_smile: i won't lose any sleep infact i had a good laugh over it

If they are friends, they should already understand the nature of the work you do from speaking to you in the past. i have friends who are mechanics, builders chippies, and so on, we all know how much things cost to do, and dont quibble over prices. How far down the friends line this works is difficult to say, friend of a friends, then the friends friends friend? A fair price for a fair days work isnt much to ask, or they aint no friend!

Totally agree mate. Most refferals don't even ask for a price. These guys wanted a price and i did'nt want there to be any suprises so i gave a price and offered to reduce it if it took any less time. The more i think about it idont think i could have been any fairer than that. i just hate to think i have put anyone in an awkward position, and hate the thought of people thinking i'm trying to rip them off. Thanks for the input guys.