Stein X2 Climbing Spikes.

LumberJake

Right guys I'm thinking about getting some new climbing spikes and am interested in the Stein X2 Aluminium Climbing Spikes. I was just wondering if people would recommend these or not? Are they comfortable to climb in for a long time? Do the 'C' shaped pads restrict the size leg that the spikes can be used on? Are the worth the money? And anything else about the spikes that you know would be a great help.

Cheers,

Jake H

Best advice I can offer is to try before you buy,I realise this doesn't help answer your question but I've found some climbing spurs agonisingly painful after even a short time wearing them. Fortunately I tried a few different types before buying,I can only wear the straight shank spurs,the "twisted" shanks were so uncomfortable I could bearly stand on them, a friend of mine is the complete opposite. I did try the the steins on but found the steel bashlins with velcro pads more comfortable and they seem (visually) more durable than the steins.

I've been using them for about 2 months, i initially purchased them because they were one of the cheapest ally spikes.

I used to come down at lunch after a few hours on spikes (old leather klein style) and had to practically rip them off as my feet ached so much. Now my feet are much happier, they haven't ached once, and they actually work really well.

(my review is like the polar opposite of the reply above haha :D )

Best advice I can offer is to try before you buy,I realise this doesn't help answer your question but I've found some climbing spurs agonisingly painful after even a short time wearing them. Fortunately I tried a few different types before buying.

I need to get into climbing with spikes and need to buy the whole kit..... Which shops let you try before buying?.... and are there training courses for spike climbing?

I don't know of any suppliers with facility's to test spurs. I did suggest it to my local supplier,would only need to secure a section of telegraph pole in the show room,so you could stand in the spurs.I'm guessing "health and safety" is the problem. Not sure that there are specific courses for climbing on spikes,the only training I had was for pole rescue during the cs38 aerial rescue course. I'm guessing that climbing on spurs would be required for dissmantling and sectional felling cs41? But don't think there is any specific training as part of it? Might be worth starting a seperate thread for this subject.

Each to there own I think! Unfortunately you've just gotta try out a few pairs, I had carbon geckos and hated them, tried the x2's and gave them away ended up with Buckingham titanium twisted and love them where as my lads (luckily) hate them and use geckos

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

I don't know of any suppliers with facility's to test spurs. I did suggest it to my local supplier,would only need to secure a section of telegraph pole in the show room,so you could stand in the spurs.I'm guessing "health and safety" is the problem. Not sure that there are specific courses for climbing on spikes,the only training I had was for pole rescue during the cs38 aerial rescue course. I'm guessing that climbing on spurs would be required for dissmantling and sectional felling cs41? But don't think there is any specific training as part of it? Might be worth starting a seperate thread for this subject.

Just looked up a CS41 4 day course at £821 per person; to me that sounds a bit trifle with a cherry on top expensive.

Sorry, diverting from the topic; i'll get my rain coat....