Real world heating cost

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be looking at a 4-6 cyl diesel 3PH generating set.

BUT, harvesting the otherwise wasted heat.

Not a poxy wee off-the-shelf mains gas fuelled pipsqueak/lifestyle CHP set.

The bonus for me would be the 3ph electric.

My 3Ph electric usuage would be so intermittent/some days only /some daylight hours only, that if needs be I could either use the 3 PH to drive the GSHP or satisfy my demands with the GSHP switched off.

My 3Ph electric usuage would be so intermittent/some days only /some daylight hours only, that if needs be I could either use the 3 PH to drive the GSHP or satisfy my demands with the GSHP switched off.

ah, with you now :thumbup:

Sounds like the CHP situation is still unchanged then - utter shite :thumbdown:

you can get off the shelf units like this, a mate is looking at one for his new farm, 50% cheaper than putting mains in

I,m hoping to go totally off grid subject to me getting planning for the building.

I was quoted £140k to get electric to site so didn't even bother asking gas.

Electric - solar, wind and genny backup and our lass peddling a bike should all fail

Heating - logs, solar with LPG backup

Cooking - logs and LPG

Hot water - logs, solar, LPG, electric in that order

£140K!! - where is the site? top of Ben Nevis? :biggrin:

Commando - Solar thermal from Barilla (Lymington, Hampshire) was about £2500 supply only. With the Gledhill Thermal heat store and plumber it was about £5000, but the old heating system was knackered, so it needed changing

Its great April - Oct / Nov, but can be a bit redundant in winter as the it will typically only reach 30-40 deg C and the tank already has that heat left from the wood burner the day before - thus it wont take the heat from the roof. A twin tank system, or heat exchanger, can solve this I believe?

Not sure I would use a small heat store (ours is a Gledhill 250 ltrs) if I did it again - it looks cheaper to use a standard tank and heat exchanger units, which are maintenance free and allow lots of connections (i.e. solar thermal, oil, gas, wood etc). Something like that...

I,m hoping to go totally off grid subject to me getting planning for the building.

I was quoted £140k to get electric to site so didn't even bother asking gas.

Electric - solar, wind and genny backup and our lass peddling a bike should all fail

Heating - logs, solar with LPG backup

Cooking - logs and LPG

Hot water - logs, solar, LPG, electric in that order

HI DEAN you can barter with them the wifes old man does all the time :thumbup:thanks jon

Craig,

Link please?

I will however cost the 3 ph connection, if only to "add value" to our property for future generations ( mind, a trifle wistfully at the moment)

i'll ask, as I remember it was a 3ph gen to run the farm that also automatically heated the thermal store for dhw and ufh and charged a battery bank/inverter for the house, with the option to add in both solars, around 40k from a firm in Lincolnshire.