What is experience??

JLA Arborists

Iv been driving diggers several days a week for the last 4 years. Iv been climbing trees for the last 8 years, the first 4 years was full time.

I would honestly say that if a digger (okay mini digger in this case) can be got somewhere, i can get it there safely and do a tidy efficient job. However I would consider myself proficient bordering experianced at climbing and would be happy doing most jobs, but there are still trees I'd not be happy doing and would prefer to get someone more experianced.

Make your own mind up from that post.

Felling is another thing tho- I'm excellent at felling:001_tt2:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would ask for 5 years experience because most climbers I have seen never amount to being actually any good at this game and it takes them 5 years to work that out... And really I don't want to waste my time as an employer ... Yes there are people who will be an exception to that rule and straight away excel but out of the 30 or so people I have worked with I can count about 3 ... I want a climber who's gonna save me days on a quote not add them on and still get the job done safely.

As I stated in my earlier post I have 50 stamps to get in my MEWP book over the next 5 years to prove my experience. This got me thinking.

Would the amount of trees climbed be an indicator.

Variety of tree species.

Or the biggest tree you have worked on.

Would these be more relevant to determining a climbers experience. Do any of you climbers keep a note on these things. Notches on the bedpost so to speak.

I thought I was the dogs danglies after two years, and looking back now I realise how much I still had to learn/experience, every day is still an education, but it does come down to the individual, personally I reckon you are capable of most tree work after a year or so, it's the efficiency and smoothness that comes with time

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I thought I was the dogs danglies after two years, and looking back now I realise how much I still had to learn/experience, every day is still an education, but it does come down to the individual, personally I reckon you are capable of most tree work after a year or so, it's the efficiency and smoothness that comes with time

capable of most tree work after a year, nah 1 year and your still green......................

capable of most tree work after a year, nah 1 year and your still green......................

I'm not disputing that, at 1 year you can get around a tree and cut bits off, or dismantle whatever but it may take you three days, five years in you can fit both jobs in in a day,

Maybe you should throw in qualified into the mix!? ;)

i know guys that have 7-8 years "experience" I wouldn't even consider them proficient. It's a hard one to put a time limit on as I think everyone is different.

I may have completely got the wrong end of the stick?