What is experience??

JLA Arborists

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When people ask for experienced workers is proficient what they are meaning? In my own opinion you know if you're experienced or not, if you read a job advert looking for an experienced groundy and have to ask yourself, "am I experienced?", then you're not. If you're replying to an advert however, all you can do is give them what you've got. If you've got two years under your belt its up to the guy giving the job out if that's experienced enough or not.

I'd agree with the general sentiment that five years of work will give you a good all round experience. I've been in the tree game for 18 years and I've done a lot of things, I'd consider myself experienced, but there are still things that I have no experience of. After two years you should know the basics, but there are still an awful lot of things that you'll know nothing about. Two years experience: OK, five years experience: good, ten years experience: better, and so on.

I still know some people with more than five years experience who I wouldn't trust to turn up blind and unprepared to do any job. To some extent it does depend on the individual.

I would have thought 3 - 5 years for most trade jobs would be acceptable if I was employing anyone. This would also involve them having the adequate training/ certificates as well. You could have 40 years experience doing the job the nomadic way but no tickets !! I would opt for the lesser experienced candidate.

I am not a climber but would have to agree with 5 years minimum for this from my experience watching climbers do what they do.:001_tt2:

I would like to think I could become a proficient climber within 3 years but not experienced. I was proficient at using a MEWP in an afternoon !! I have 5 years to fill my wee book to verify I am experienced before being issued with a new ticket.

For an experienced groundworker I would say 5 years also with a percentage of this working in the trees as well.

A can do attitude should always be applauded :thumbup1: but some of my trees I look and think NO WAY. That is where many years of experience of climbing come into play.

Experience is very different to skill level. You can do a job all your days but doesn't make you a master craftsman for this you have to prove your skill level.

when you've been climbing 5 years, look back and tell me honestly if you still think you were experienced at 2

Could you not say that about any trade? Digger driving included. After all, every day is a school day. If you go home having not learned anything, you've wasted a day if you ask me.

Nub of the issue as regards OP- would you consider someone with two years climbing experience and a decent attitute to be a viable candidate for a post with your company?

There's no point arguing the toss here gents- all the tree guys think 'how hard is it, pulling some levers' and all the digger guys think 'how hard is it, climb up the tree and cut bits off' :lol: There's far more to both than meets the eye, can we at least agree on that?

Both unskilled and immensely skilled persons are present in both trades.