What is experience??

JLA Arborists

I've never climbed in my life, but I'm fairly sure that I'd pick it up and become proficient in a lot less time than that working full time at it.

It's not rocket science after all. If you have genuinely have 'heaps of natural talent' then you pick things up quick.

Diggers, tractors, chainsaws, welding, none of these take two years working full time to become proficient enough to jump straight into for a new company and not have to ask questions save for those that relate directly to the companies specific way of working.

bold statement that!! there is a mile of difference between a proficient climber and an experience proficient climber.

there's far more science in tree work than digger driving, that just pressing buttons and they train monkeys to do that......that may be not be the best example:blushing:

Edited by Craig Johnson

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As proved by the above answers there are so many different levels of experience...for me if I'm looking for an experienced Groundie he has to know what needs doing before I have to tell him!

Its simple if we get to a job and he has to ask "SHALL I GET THE SAWS OUT" and "SHALL I FUEL THEM UP" then he's not experienced unfortunately all to often I get people who have to ask "SHALL I GET OUT OF THE TRUCK NOW" that one really gets my back up!!

bold statement that!! there is a mile of difference between a proficient climber and an experience proficient climber.

The OP was asking in the context of people looking for employees with experience. I take that to mean a proficient climber, as opposed to someone fresh out of college. A proficient climber will do the job for the employer with no hassle. Proficient suggests some form of experience, I suggest two years is more than enough to achieve this level.

there's far more science in tree work than digger driving, that just pressing buttons and they train monkeys to do that......that may be not be the best example:blushing:

You could easily reverse the above statement: It's just climbing and cutting a branch off, they train monkeys to do that...

A decent digger driver is as skilled as a decent tree surgeon. Compare a decent climber to a decent digger driver. Someone like our own LGP Eddie for example. Still think climbing a tree is MORE skilled? I'd say they were on a par. I'd also say your average monkey on a construction site is on a par with your average monkey on a utilities gang.

Monkeys can also be trained to use capital letters....:lol::thumbup:

Edited by doobin

I've never climbed in my life, but I'm fairly sure that I'd pick it up and become proficient in a lot less time than that working full time at it.

It's not rocket science after all. If you have genuinely have 'heaps of natural talent' then you pick things up quick.

Diggers, tractors, chainsaws, welding, none of these take two years working full time to become proficient enough to jump straight into for a new company and not have to ask questions save for those that relate directly to the companies specific way of working.

I don't know you mate or your attitude towards work. I do think the commen above is pretty naive though considering you aren't a climber and had not tried it.

Some people make it look easy, others make it look harder. Don't underestimate the time it takes to become proficient at it.

You could be shown how to do it get the training and a little experience then you go up a 90ft dead Lombardy in a slight breeze and have a senses over load of fear ,sea sickness and want to curl in to a sobbing ball.. I've seen that a few times , I don't think that happens often in a digger... An experienced climber will use the wind to his full advantage whilst calmly and methodically stripping the tree always thinking one step ahead from all his previous experience understanding the holding capabilities and weight of the timber he's working on .. I believe that takes a few years to get that proficient that your all packed up by 3 instead of 6.

I've seen that a few times , I don't think that happens often in a digger...

Look at my avatar. You think you could do that? Including laying the tuft you've stripped off neatly behind you (with the bucket on backwards) when you can't swing round properly as the counterweight will hit the bank, but swinging round as far as you can with the boom fully offset risks tipping the machine down the 60 degree bank if you're not careful?

I reckon you could easily after two years doing only that sort of stuff. And I reckon after two years doing only tree climbing I could do the tree you describe no problem.

I'm not saying one is more skilled than the other (though you tree surgeons often seem to think you're Gods gift :001_tt2::lol:)

Two years constant work in a trade is enough to become proficient enough to reply to an advert saying 'Trade X wanted, must have experience'. Which is what the OP was asking.