Tar in your flue

Alycidon

fit a carbon monoxide detector

Very wise and a requirement under building regs for a new installation.

After all these years my battery powered one is time expired so I could do with a recommendation for a modern one.

Anyway it must be better to avoid the risk of CO buildup rather than wait for an alarm.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only burn dry logs oak,ash,beech, anything hardwood no softwood on any count and have my chimney swept every year if he gets a dustan of soot out its a lot. keep mine burning then shut down last thing lucky if it is still in next morning maybe warm just put kindling on and then logs away it goes

I have a 14kw woodwarm stove with saddle boilers. close it down overnight and it fires up in the morning with fresh wood, no need for kindling. Sweep the flue every year and get about 3/4 of a bucket full of crap out of it.

Mixed wood, usually oak and ash, with a bit of birch.

The flue is a twin wall flue with the rest of the chimney void filled with micafill. this seems to avoid the condensation issues you have with a 'cold' flue.

Out of interest why is that? I have a small burner, burn 99% softwood and have no problems with the flue.

Nothing wrong with soft wood if its seasoned and dry , just need to feed the fire more often . Some times its nice to have a mix I think .....